Q&A: Auditor candidate Wayne Johnson
- NAME: Wayne A. Johnson
- POLITICAL PARTY: Republican
- OCCUPATION: New Mexico State Auditor
- RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: Owner, Vista Media Productions, Inc. (1993 — Present); Bernalillo County Commissioner (2011 to 2018); Albuquerque Bernalillo County Community Schools Partnership (201118); Chair 2012 Albuquerque Bernalillo County Governing Council (2011-16); Chair 2011, Vice Chair, Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility (2012), Member (2017); Member New Mexico Retiree Healthcare Authority (2011-17)
- EDUCATION: Bachelor of University Studies, Computer Engineering & Film/Television; University of New Mexico, 1990
- CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: www.VoteWayneJohnson.com
What would be your top priorities as state auditor?
Expose and bring into compliance taxpayer-funded organizations that have hidden from public scrutiny. I’ve already uncovered hundreds of thousands of public dollars used for everything from $8,000 parties to WhistlePig whiskey. Provide accountability for seniors and their conservators, and improve financial practices of entities subject to the State Auditor’s review.
What skills and experience would make you an effective auditor?
My experience as State Auditor, owner of a media business, and Bernalillo County Commissioner come together to achieve the primary objective of my office — transparency. As Auditor, I uncover facts and report to the public without regard to politics or partisanship. I am an independent voice for New Mexicans.
What would be your approach to ordering special audits, and what assurances can you give that such audits would be carried out without partisan motives?
My role is one of independent review for violations of policy or law. I designate based on probability of violations; not politics. More important are audits that have not been performed. The public is never harmed by too much sunlight; it’s darkness where waste, fraud and abuse live and thrive.
Have you or your business, if you are a business owner, ever been the subject of any state or federal tax liens?
Have you ever been involved in a personal or business bankruptcy proceeding?
Have you ever been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of drunken driving, any misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other state? If so, explain.
Unfortunately, yes. Over two decades ago I was arrested for DWI and the charges were subsequently dismissed. I’ve always been open about the incident when dealing with the public.