SANTA FE – A request for a temporary restraining order against a Santa Fe teen who earlier this year admitted to writing a note that detailed plans for a school shooting was denied last week.
However, the denial doesn’t mean the end of the civil case against former Santa Fe High School student Aaron Encinias. A scheduling conference has been set.
A local artist filed the complaint against Encinias —who is about 15 years old — on behalf of her daughter. The woman resubmitted a second complaint several days after her original was deemed too vague.
The woman’s requests for a TRO say that on Sept. 11, Encinias “verbally harassed” her daughter. Her filing says the daughter also was listed as one of Encinias’ “targets” in his school shooting plan that was found on the Santa Fe High campus last November.
The Journal is not publishing the name of the woman or the child because of the nature of Encinias’ shooting threat detailed in police reports last year.
In a decision filed Friday, District Court Judge Gregory Shaffer wrote that the mother’s second, amended complaint still did not meet the standards for issuing a temporary restraining order without hearing from the defendant.
A response from Encinias filed Sept. 28 states that he was in school on the date of the harassment alleged in the TRO request and that he no longer associates with students at Santa Fe High. “I have not seen this person in quite some time so I am a bit confused as to what this is referring to,” the response states. “I try to keep to myself and stay away from trouble.”
The response goes on to say Encinias is working to complete his school requirements, goes to counseling every other week, has a part-time job and regularly checks in with his probation offer.
Judge Shaffer, in his order, said the harassment allegation against Encinias was too general. “Further, it is not clear that (the parent) has firsthand knowledge of the facts alleged,” he wrote.
Encinias was arrested after police linked the then-freshman to a note with a target list and a map of the school found by another student. He received a year of probation in February after admitting to the misdemeanor of interfering with the educational process and apologizing.