Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Girls wanted in shooting detained after homecoming dance

SANTA FE — Two girls arrested as accessories in the murder of 18-year-old Cameron Martinez were picked up police as they left the Espanola Valley High School homecoming dance on Oct. 6, two days after Martinez was shot and killed, according to a new search warrant affidavit.

Martinez was in the rear passenger seat of a Subaru WRX when he and three others in the car were shot by people in two other vehicles on N.M. 68 near the Ohkay Casino Hotel, just north of Española, around 9 p.m. on Oct. 4. Martinez was dead from a gunshot wound to head when police got there.

Seven people, including three minors, have been charged in Cameron Martinez’s death. Mark Hice, 22, Anton Martinez, 19, and Axel Zamarron, 17, all face first-degree murder charges for allegedly firing semi-automatic handguns at the Subaru, apparently mistaking Cameron and his three companions injured in the shooting for others with whom Hice had “bad blood.”


Mark Hice is escorted into court by deputies for a court hearing last week. Hice is charged with shooting 4 people and killing Cameron Martinez north of Espanola last week. (Eddie Moore/Albuquerque Journal)

Brittany Garcia, 21, Katryna Moya, 17, Alejandra Gonzalez, 16, and Savannah Martinez, 23, have been charged with conspiracy and tampering with evidence. The defendant Martinezes are not related to the murder victim. Gonzalez is alleged to have driven her mother’s Nissan Altima while Zamarron fired shots from the car.

According to the affidavit, State Police became aware that she and Moya were at the homecoming dance and detained them for questioning as they were leaving the school in an Altima driven by Gonzalez’s mother.

Gonzalez later told police that a group met in a parking lot before the fatal shooting, and Hice, Anton Martinez and Zamarron “geared up” with weapons to shoot anyone who might be a threat. Hice also spoke about getting an “oozie,” the affidavit says. Hice and Garcia allegedly shot at a Black Escalade near the Ohkay Casino Hotel earlier the day Cameron Martinez was killed, but no one was injured.

Gonzalez said that before the fatal shooting, she drove Zamarron and Moya in her mother’s Nissan around town and they eventually came into contact with the blue Subaru that Cameron and three others were riding in.

“Alejandra explained in her interview that Axel (Zamarron) received a phone call from Mark (Hice) as the blue sedan approached their 2-vehicle convoy and that he had identified it as a target,” the affidavit says.

Gonzalez said Zamarron leaned out of the car and fired at least four shots at the Subaru. “As the shooting occurred Alejandra closed her eyes, ducked down and continued to drive, hearing casings hit the roof of her vehicle,” the affidavit says.

Moya and Gonzalez were arrested Oct. 9 after the Nissan was searched for evidence. Police found a bullet casing in the back of the car, according to the affidavit.

The driver of the Subaru told police she saw a Kia Optima — which police later determined Garcia was driving while Hice, Zamarron and Anton and Savannah Martinez were passengers — going in the same direction ahead of them, “but at a very slow speed in the right lane,” the affidavit states.

She said she used the left lane to pass the Optima and as they passed the people in the Optima started shooting at her car. She stopped the car on the shoulder and realized they all had gunshot wounds. “The Kia did not stop and none of the victims know who the vehicle belonged to or who the occupant(s) may have been,” the affidavit says.

Subscribe now! Albuquerque Journal limited-time offer

Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email or Contact the writer.