New abuse suit filed against Catholic priest - Albuquerque Journal

New abuse suit filed against Catholic priest

SANTA FE – Yet another lawsuit alleging sexual abuse by a Catholic priest was filed in District Court in Santa Fe on Wednesday, this one stemming from an incident decades ago when the alleged victim was a first grader at Holy Cross Catholic School in Santa Cruz east of Española.

The lawsuit was filed with pseudonym “John Doe” for the plaintiff to “protect him from further shame,” according to a news release by his attorney, Merit Bennett. The complaint alleges rape, assault and battery, obstruction and racketeering among the 25 counts.

“This is an organized crime,” Bennett, who has represented more than 100 victims in church abuse cases, said when asked about the racketeering charge. “It’s literally been going for 50 years, the church covering up these crimes and moving priests around.”

The list of defendants includes the Vatican, the Archdiocese of Santa Fe and former priest Marvin Archuleta, who was one of 74 priests, deacons and seminarians on a list of priests credibly accused of sex crimes against children released by the Archbishop John Wester last year.

According to list, Archuleta is believed to still be alive. ABC News reported in 2002 that he was then a priest in Mexico City.

Archuleta made the list because of a 1994 lawsuit accusing him of sexually abusing a 14-year-old boy in 1971. That lawsuit was settled for an undisclosed amount.

The Archdiocese provided a statement to the Journal Wednesday that says it does not publicly comment on pending litigation. “However, the archdiocese continues to be vigilant regarding sexual misconduct and stands firm on its zero tolerance policy. We pray for all who have been victims of the sad reality of sexual abuse,” it said.

Wednesday’s filing details an alleged incident that took place in the mid-1980s when the plaintiff was 6 or 7 years old.

According to the lawsuit, “John Doe” was one of three boys pulled out of their first-grade class ostensibly to be recruited as altar boys. The boys were taken to a back room of the church in Santa Cruz and offered punch and cookies. “John Doe” was separated from the other boys and left alone with Archuleta, who then raped him.

The lawsuit says that Archuleta told the boy he was not being punished, but “this is how God loves you.”

“Over the years following the assault, Plaintiff started drinking alcohol regularly, escalating into drug use,” the complaint states. It goes on to say the alleged victim overdosed on drugs on multiple occasions and was in and out of treatment centers. It wasn’t until 2016 when he realized that there was a connection between being raped as a boy and his drug and alcohol addiction, chronic depression and failure to sustain intimate relationships, according to the complaint.

Home » Journal North » Journal North Recent News » New abuse suit filed against Catholic priest

Insert Question Legislature form in Legis only stories




Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email yourstory@abqjournal.com

taboola desktop

ABQjournal can get you answers in all pages

 

Questions about the Legislature?
Albuquerque Journal can get you answers
Email addresses are used solely for verification and to speed the verification process for repeat questioners.
1
Kenneth H. Martinez, 1954-2023: Former district judge ‘was good ...
ABQnews Seeker
Albuquerque native, 2nd Judicial District Court ... Albuquerque native, 2nd Judicial District Court judge had a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease
2
NM lawmakers scrutinize pretrial release system
ABQnews Seeker
Sides clash over Arnold Tool, used ... Sides clash over Arnold Tool, used to assess defendants' flight risk
3
New Mexico tax unit leader believed to have stolen ...
ABQnews Seeker
George Martinez was sentenced to 8 ... George Martinez was sentenced to 8 years in prison and will be ordered to pay more than $1.2 million in restitution. However, prosecutors say ...
4
Attorney: man charged in I-40 shooting death fired in ...
ABQnews Seeker
Attorneys traded opening statements this week ... Attorneys traded opening statements this week in the first-degree murder trial of a man accused of fatally shooting a stranger in 2019 as the ...
5
Chief justice urges lawmakers to balance public safety with ...
ABQnews Seeker
The state's top judge offered a ... The state's top judge offered a cautionary tale Tuesday for New Mexico lawmakers to ke ...
6
She stopped to fix a flat tire. Then she ...
ABQnews Seeker
Police say she was fixing a ... Police say she was fixing a flat when a truck hit her car
7
Measure to tackle state's warrant backlog hits speed bump ...
ABQnews Seeker
Proposal to spend $20M on a ... Proposal to spend $20M on a stat
8
Solomon Pena ordered to remain in custody pending trial
ABQnews Seeker
Second Judicial District Judge David Murphy ... Second Judicial District Judge David Murphy found that Pena presents a danger to the community.
9
Legislature 2023: Lawmakers pursue gun restrictions
ABQnews Seeker
Proposals range from assault rifle bans ... Proposals range from assault rifle bans to age limits