After more than two decades of scandal and millions of dollars in payouts to victims of priest sexual abuse, the Archdiocese of Santa Fe on Thursday announced its plan to stanch its financial losses by filing for Chapter 11 reorganization.
Archbishop of Santa Fe John C. Wester, who appeared at a news conference at the Catholic Center in Albuquerque, said he had been contemplating filing for bankruptcy protection for a few years, but now the archdiocese is facing up to 40 active claims from alleged victims who claimed they were sexually abused by priests in the archdiocese.
“We could see where this was all leading and the trajectory wasn’t changing. We just don’t have any money,” Wester said. “If we’re not here, we can’t help anybody.”