Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Colorado murder suspects arrested in Santa Fe

SANTA FE – A father and his 13-year-old son who are wanted for first-degree murder in Colorado were arrested by State Police in Santa Fe Thursday.

Heith Gleason, 35, and his son Gage Gleason were taken into custody at the McDonald’s on St. Francis Drive around 11 a.m. Thursday after officers got a tip from the Huerfano County Sheriff’s Department that the two would be there.

Heith Gleason

The pair have been charged with the murder of 41-year-old Amy Garcia of Walsenburg, Colo., according to an arrest warrant affidavit filed in Santa Fe Magistrate Court. Huerfano County deputies found Garcia dead in a burned-out car outside of the Gleasons’ home in rural Huerfano County Thursday morning.

A witness told deputies that Heith Gleason said Gage Gleason had “earned his man card” after allegedly taking part in the murder, the affidavit says.

Heith Gleason is being held at the Santa Fe County jail while Gage Gleason is in custody at the Santa Fe youth detention center. It’s not clear from the affidavit what relationship Garcia, the slain woman, had to the Gleasons.

The witness, a 24-year-old man, called deputies early Thursday to say that Garcia may have been shot and her car burned at a location in Huerfano County, between Trinidad and Pueblo. Deputies found a sedan that appeared to have been incinerated with a deceased person, later identified as Garcia, in the driver’s seat. There were also multiple bullet holes in the driver-side door and several .22-caliber casings at the scene, the affidavit says.

The witness said he, Garcia and the Gleasons were at the Gleason’s house when they decided to go to Garcia’s house in Walsenburg to get alcohol. Only Heith Gleason and Garcia went inside Garcia’s house, and when they came out “their attitudes had changed,” the man told deputies.

When they got back to the Gleason house, the witness said Heith Gleason got a gun and said “I’ll kill her” before going outside. The man said he heard a gunshot before Gleason came back inside.

Gage Gleason then grabbed a .22-caliber rifle and went outside. The witness said he heard another gunshot and that Heith said Gage had “earned his man card,” the affidavit states.

Police were able to track Heith Gleason’s cell phone in Trinidad around 7:30 a.m. Thursday, then to Ribera and finally to Santa Fe. A man claiming to be Heith Gleason called Huerfano County dispatchers around 10 a.m. Thursday and said he and his son were involved in a murder, the affidavit says.

They were now heading to North Carolina for Christmas, the man added in the phone call.

State Police officers arrested the Gleasons without incident while they were parked at the McDonald’s in a 2015 gray Dodge Ram. Officers also took three bulldogs and a Great Dane from the truck.