Recover password

Lawyer Accused of Shooting Man

PUBLISHED: Saturday, June 28, 2014 at 12:05 am

Charges against Albuquerque criminal defense attorney David “Chip” Venie, accused of aggravated battery against a homeless man in a shooting incident at his law office, have been dismissed based on a judge’s finding that the prosecution violated Venie’s rights in the grand jury process.

State District Judge Carl Butkus canceled the trial, which had been scheduled for next week, saying Venie is entitled to “another, properly conducted, grand jury proceeding.”

“It is the conclusion of the court that substantial rights of target defendant Venie explicit in New Mexico’s grand jury process have been circumvented and rendered meaningless,” Butkus wrote in a May opinion dismissing the indictment. Venie had asked for dismissal in documents filed in May of 2013.


Continue reading

One count of the indictment had been dismissed earlier.

Venie was indicted in February 2013 on charges including aggravated battery with a firearm, receiving stolen property, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and tampering with evidence. Butkus, a former judge in the District Court’s criminal division before moving to the civil division, was assigned to the case after other criminal division judges recused.

Under a procedure established through a 2009 court case and a subsequent rule, the target of a grand jury investigation may present evidence showing lack of culpability. The rule is intended to avoid the filing of cases that should not be indicted.

Before the case was indicted, Venie informed the prosecution he had witnesses willing to testify that, on the morning of Aug. 28, 2012, a stranger – Stephen Anthony Biddinger – was yelling, screaming and waving his hands as he entered Venie’s office on Lomas three times.

Venie said the witnesses would testify that Biddinger was “acting kinda crazy,” assaulted witnesses and refused to leave before Venie fired a gun. Biddinger told police afterward that he was “tweaking” on “ice,” according to Venie’s filing.

Venie, who has been representing himself, wanted the witnesses to be called or their statements read to the grand jury. Court rules say the target must give 24 hours’ notice about such evidence and Venie had done that.

The 5th District Attorney’s Office in southeast New Mexico, which took the case after Bernalillo County prosecutors stepped aside when Venie challenged their involvement, asked the grand jury judge for permission not to present the evidence, which included witnesses, witness statements and several dozen proposed instructions, and 911 tapes.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Davis Ruark of Carlsbad, who presented the case, sent his motion to the grand jury judge on the morning of the grand jury presentation. Venie wasn’t given a copy and had no opportunity to contest it.


Continue reading

Butkus cited the prosecution’s failure to notify Venie in his order dismissing the remaining counts in the indictment without prejudice, meaning they could be refiled.

The judge said the failure to notify Venie prevented him from challenging the prosecution’s request.

“This is not merely a technical violation,” Butkus wrote in his 18-page opinion, “but is a substantial violation.”

The judge also said the prosecutor didn’t comply with the grand jury judge’s order dealing with how the grand jurors were to be informed of the evidence Venie wanted them to hear, particularly dealing with the immediate availability of the witnesses.

Butkus said the problems “short-circuited the procedure” set up by the Supreme Court to preserve the structural integrity of the grand jury process.

Neither Venie nor Ruark could be reached for comment.




PUBLISHED Aug. 29, 2012

An Albuquerque defense attorney is facing a felony assault charge after he was accused of shooting an unarmed man in the leg in front of his Downtown office on Tuesday.

Police say David “Chip” Venie, 40, shot Stephen Biddinger in the leg after a dispute Tuesday morning in front of Venie’s law office — called the Freedom Law Center — on the 800 block of Lomas.

Venie’s wife, Cynthia, captured the shooting on her cellphone, and police say the video shows Biddinger walking slowly toward Venie with his arms raised — showing he was unarmed — before Venie fired one bullet into his leg, according to the complaint. Three witnesses told police Biddinger was unarmed when Venie shot him, it said.


Police found Biddinger, age unknown, lying against the office’s front door in a pool of blood with a weak pulse, APD spokesman Robert Gibbs said. Biddinger is in stable condition at University of New Mexico Hospital, police said.

Officers recovered the gun, a Beretta 9mm, from Venie’s office desk drawer and found a spent bullet casing in the lobby’s entrance, according to the complaint.

Police said the two knew each other, but they did not have further details.

Venie has been an attorney in New Mexico at least since 2008, where he’s litigated in more than 1,000 cases, according to the New Mexico State Bar Association and Venie’s website.

— This article appeared on page C1 of the Albuquerque Journal