Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Two more large groups enter NM


Members of a second group of migrants, each of more than 300 adults and children, that made its way into New Mexico on Monday, one through Antelope Wells and this group through the Sunland Park area. Border Patrol photo

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — More than 600 migrants – including unaccompanied children – crossed into New Mexico Monday in two large groups, one through Antelope Wells and the other around a pedestrian fence in Sunland Park, Border Patrol officials said Tuesday.

At 12:01 a.m. Monday the first group of migrants, this one made up of 330 adults and children, was taken into custody by Border Patrol agents working at Camp Bounds Forward Operating Base at the Antelope Wells Port of Entry in southern New Mexico.

It was the 28th group of over 100 people since October in this area alone in the agency’s El Paso Sector, official said in a news release.

The group was made up mainly of Central American families and unaccompanied juveniles, officials said, noting that smugglers “continue to exploit innocent human lives in order to enhance their illicit activities without due regard to the risks of human life.”

Border Patrol EMTs determined none in this group required immediate medical attention.

The second group, this one made up of 311 adults and children, arrived near Sunland Park near the Santa Teresa station just before midnight Monday.

Border Patrol agents working near Mount Cristo Rey discovered the group making its way “around the pedestrian fence in Sunland Park and took them into custody.”

“Though this trend has been a constant in the Antelope Wells area of New Mexico, this is the first large group that has been encountered in this area this fiscal year,” the Border Patrol said. “As with the previous groups encountered in Antelope Wells, this group is comprised primarily of Central American families and unaccompanied juveniles.”

The group was taken to the Santa Teresa Border Patrol station for processing.


More on ABQjournal