POLITICAL PARTY: Democratic
RESIDENCE: Los Lunas
EDUCATION: Los Lunas High School, 1976; University of New Mexico, business management.
OCCUPATION: Retired facilities manager, New Mexico Department of Health; farming
FAMILY: Wife, Evelyn; two daughters and five grandchildren
POLITICAL/GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE: Twenty-seven years working for New Mexico Department of Health; Los Lunas Board of Education, member, 2007-11; Los Lunas School Board of Education, president, 2008-09.
MAJOR PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: Implemented initiatives with colleagues on school board and superintendent of schools to improve graduation rate from 50 percent to 74 percent in two years. The teachers and students really deserve all the credit.
MAJOR PERSONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: My wife and I working together to raise our family in our community with a great quality of life. Preserving family involvement with our parents, daughters, and grandchildren.
1. I support implementing measures to protect the safety of Americans from those people here with bad intentions. I want something done to work towards compromise between the Legislature and governor by exploring all solutions.
2. I support addressing solvency problems of the state’s two public retirement systems by reducing certain benefits. A comprehensive plan must be negotiated between the members, Legislature and governor.
3. I support raising the minimum retirement age as part of a comprehensive plan to maintain solvency of ERA and PERA. Preservation of current and future public sector jobs would be part of that plan.
4. Yes, there are a significant number of people in positions providing for the safety and education of New Mexicans. Retirement contributions continue to increase while salaries remain the same.
5. I support spending up to $400 million to generate $6.2 billion over seven years to provide adequate health care for 150,000 people in poverty and create a substantial number of jobs in the health care field.
6. I oppose the elimination of social promotion in public schools because it would prove to be detrimental to a child’s self-esteem. Pull-outs could be implemented with tutors, and early interventions at first and second grades.
7. I support student progress as one measure along with a combination of criteria developed between the teacher and the administrator. The three-tier system in place is intended to reward top-performing teachers.
8. I would support increasing the state personal income tax rate on higher-income residents.
9. I oppose same-sex marriage as it pertains to religion and church. I support civil union between two individuals to satisfy any legal matters encountered resulting from such a relationship.
10. As a parent and grandparent, my family makes a real effort to emphasize the importance of life and to be there to talk and offer advice. Some minors are homeless with no one to turn to.