POLITICAL PARTY: Republican
RESIDENCE: Rio Rancho
EDUCATION: Ph.D., University of New Mexico; master of science, Purdue University; bachelor of science, New Mexico Tech; all degrees in chemical engineering.
OCCUPATION: Research engineer at Sandia National Laboratories.
FAMILY: Wife: Mary; children: 4.
POLITICAL/GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE: Volunteer campaign worker in municipal elections.
MAJOR PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: Recently invented a new, low-cost protective device to keep our soldiers overseas safe from bio-warfare agents.
MAJOR PERSONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: Marrying my high school sweetheart 14 years ago and raising our four children together.
1. I am pro-immigration and am grateful for the diversity that immigrants bring. Driver’s licenses, however, are a public safety issue and we need to limit them to those who are legal residents.
2. Retirees should start at the base amount that they were promised; however, abuses (e.g. double dipping) should be eliminated and some small adjustments, such as annual cost-of-living increases, could be tied to changes in the economy.
3. Promises need to be kept to current employees. Commitments to future employees, however, may need to be change to keep everyone, including themselves, afloat.
4. Our state is already the nation’s third-highest contributor towards state pension plans. People may need to be willing to contribute their fair share to protect their current level of benefits.
5. We currently do not have all the federal guidelines to adequately answer this question. I support taking care of the disabled, orphaned, and most vulnerable in our community.
6. Fourth grade is the significant transition between learning to read and reading to learn. We must help struggling children reach the standards, not set them up for failure. Social promotion does no favors for anyone.
7. Teachers are paid to prepare our children for college, jobs, and life in this rapidly changing and high-tech world. It makes sense that student performance should be one factor in evaluating teachers and their salaries.
8. Raising taxes during a major recession is bad economics. We can both live within our state’s means and put away for a rainy day, without raising taxes, if we cut the fat and eliminate fraud.
9. Everyone has the right to be treated with respect and dignity, with the same constitutional rights and equality before the law. However, government did not invent marriage and it should not seek to redefine it.
10. As a father of four children, I need to know if my child is undergoing a major medical procedure or receiving medication. Being a parent is a sacred duty, and parental rights must be respected.
13. Nothing besides a traffic violation, which was dismissed.