POLITICAL PARTY: Republican
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree, Rhodes College, 1998. Juris Doctor, University of New Mexico School of Law, 2003.
OCCUPATION: Attorney in private practice, 2007-present; Counsel, U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, 2004-07; Legislative assistant for U.S. Sen. Pete Domenici, 2003, 2001; Legislative correspondent for U.S. Sen. Pete Domenici, 1998-2000.
FAMILY: Wife, Erin; two daughters
POLITICAL/GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE: New Mexico House of Representatives, District 30, 2011-present; Worked for U.S. Senator Pete Domenici between 1998 and 2007, with a focus on energy and water issues.
MAJOR PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: Representing the people of House District 30.
MAJOR PERSONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: My wonderful family and founding Tickets for Joy, a non-profit organization a friend and I started to provide veterans, disabled and disadvantaged children with free tickets to sporting and fine arts events.
1. This seriously flawed policy has resulted in New Mexico becoming a hub for criminal activity. I strongly support the repeal of this dangerous law and have repeatedly fought for its repeal while in the Legislature.
2. Similar to the PERA board’s proposal, I support increasing employee contributions, increasing retirement age for future retirees and reducing the cost of living adjustment. Legislators should also be required to contribute more to their pensions.
3. I support raising the minimum retirement age for future retirees. Please see answer above.
4. No. New Mexico currently has one of the most generous pension programs in the nation.
5. I support expanding coverage to protect our most vulnerable populations. However, we need additional assurances from the federal government that it will pay for 90 percent of any expansion after the year 2020.
6. I strongly support the requirement that students master basic skills before they are passed on to the next grade and struggling students are provided with tutors and additional instruction to bring them to grade level.
7. Yes. I support efforts to actively reward high-performing teachers and recognize them for their efforts. As an Albuquerque Public Schools graduate, I remember and greatly appreciate the outstanding teachers who prepared me for life.
8. Oppose. In this economy, we need to be frugal with taxpayer money and cut unnecessary spending. Improving our economy and encouraging investment in New Mexico will require keeping taxes low for small businesses and families.
10. I believe that parents or legal guardians of minors should be notified of all medical procedures. For abortion, I support a parental notification bypass option in the case of incest.
13. Twelve years ago, I was involved in an altercation in Washington, D.C. The case was dismissed. Ten years ago, I was charged with DWI and related traffic offenses in New Mexico. All charges were dismissed. Later that year, I was detained as a student in Guanajuato, Mexico, for having a small amount of marijuana. I was never charged with a crime. Over the years, I have received driving and traffic citations and pled guilty for missing a court appearance.