MEXICO CITY — People in overextended Mexican border cities are voicing concern over the continuation of a U.S. policy that makes Central American migrants seeking asylum in the United States wait south of the border.
A U.S. federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that the Trump administration can make migrants wait in Mexico for their immigration hearings while the policy is challenged in court. On Wednesday night, Mexico’s immigration agency said 4,217 Central American asylum seekers had already been returned through three border cities. The U.S. government has said it wants to expand the program along the entire border.
Mexico’s government did not comment following the court decision, but those closer to the issue did.
“The United States should resolve their problem there and not transfer it to us,” said Mayor Armando Cabada of Ciudad Juarez, which lies across the border from El Paso, Texas. Juarez has received 1,344 returned asylum seekers — more than any other city — since the program started in San Diego on Jan. 29.