When we began this program seven years ago, I was the business editor at the Journal, and my memories of the first luncheon were indelible; a raucous good time was had by all, and I expect the same today.
There is something special about finding a job, a company, an organization where you genuinely enjoy going to work every day and even putting in extra hours sometimes.
And clearly some these top workplaces have discovered a successful formula, with a half-dozen making the list seven years in a row. Welcome to those in their first or second year on the list. Keep up the good work, and y’all come back now.
You are in special company. More than 900 companies and organizations applied, with 67 progressing to surveys that resulted in the final group of 50, who employ about 23,780 New Mexicans.
They come from throughout the Land of Enchantment, from Albuquerque, Rio Rancho and Santa Fe to Taos, Hobbs, Alamogordo and Santa Ana Pueblo. They represent health care, schools, financial services, auto repair and dealerships, fitness businesses, real estate, architects, banks and credit unions, counseling and highway supply, accounting and restaurants, tearooms and call centers, and on and on.
The Top Workplaces program is comprehensive and a great learning tool as well.
The superlatives by employees surveyed are wonderful to read.
Here’s a few samples:
• “Everyone is supportive and helpful. I feel that I have grown so much in my role in the little time that I have worked here.”
• “Have never worked in a place that makes you feel so welcome and needed.”
• “I am able to work with individuals and connect with them on levels that other people may not understand.”
• “I really enjoy coming to work because it’s a very positive environment to be in! I love what I do and enjoy learning new things, but especially spending time with the students because they are an important part of our community and our lives.”
• “I love my job because the people I work with are amazing and the job is very challenging yet rewarding.”
• “This job allows me to work to my strengths. I am able to balance work and personal life with my work setting. I love the people that I work with, they are all supportive.”
• “Every day is different, challenging and exciting.”
• “I am able to do what I love and grow.”
• “Decisions are made based on member impact and the bottom line is not the primary focus. People who work here are generally passionate about helping our members and our community.”
• “I enjoy my co-workers, team work and making the job fun. I look forward to coming to work everyday for another new adventure. Having management understand and support our team is a huge factor.”
• “Every person I have interacted with is so helpful and happy to help teach me something new. I have never felt discouraged or dreaded coming into work. I truly feel like I am making a difference in others lives even without presently meeting them face to face.”
• “I have the ability to make a meaningful difference in people’s lives every day.”
Again, well done. Give yourselves a standing ovation.