Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

APD names man shot, killed by detective

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Albuquerque police have identified the man shot and killed by a special investigations unit detective in an exchange of gunfire during a surveillance operation earlier this month as Casiano Coronel.

Coronel, 21, is the third person shot by the Albuquerque Police Department this year – the first one who was killed.

Police say on the night of July 2, special investigations detectives were conducting surveillance leading them from the Northeast Heights to the area off East Central. They haven’t said what the operation was in reference to.

The day after the shooting, officer Simon Drobik, an APD spokesman, said in the area of General Stilwell and Central a man – later identified as Coronel – approached the detectives’ vehicle while carrying a gun. Some sort of interaction ensued that resulted in the two firing at each other, Drobik said.

Coronel died at the scene. The officer sustained minor injuries but did not need to go to the hospital.

Police have not identified the detective, but did say he was put on paid administrative leave, which is standard, following the shooting.

Police have not said how many times the detective fired, but dozens of evidence markers – seemingly representing shell casings or bullets – could be seen on the street the following morning.

APD has denied requests from the Journal for lapel video of the shooting, saying they are confidential law enforcement records. The department said video may be available at a later date. A news conference to provide more information has not yet been scheduled.

Coronel’s family could not be reached Saturday.

According to court documents, in April, Coronel pleaded no contest under a repeat offender plea and disposition agreement to aggravated fleeing from a law enforcement officer, aggravated DWI, child abuse and receiving or transferring a stolen motor vehicle.

He had been arrested in October 2018 for leading Bernalillo County Sheriff’s deputies on a pursuit in the South Valley while intoxicated. A teenage girl and a woman were in the car with him at the time.

Although Coronel had been jailed until his trial, he was released on his own recognizance after pleading no contest in early April. He was told to not possess any weapons or consume alcohol or drugs, to get an interlock and to comply with young adult court.


More on ABQjournal