(7 p.m. Friday unless noted)
1. Cleveland (6-1, 2-0 in 1-6A) at Volcano Vista (7-0, 2-0), Nusenda Community Stadium: At last, it’s here. No. 1 vs. No. 2. Except, will Storm QB Jeff Davison play? And if he doesn’t, will it matter given how well Trey Ortega performed in his stead against Cibola? Will Hawks QB Diego Pavia be healthy and play his first full game of the year? That Volcano Vista defense has been arguably 6A’s best this season, but except for Week 1 against La Cueva, the Hawks have barely been tested all year. They will be here.
2. Artesia (5-2) at Roswell (7-0): What a wild scene this might be at the Wool Bowl as two incredibly prolific offenses square off. Artesia has scored 373 points in seven games, the Coyotes 367. However … this Roswell defense probably doesn’t get the credit it deserves, and that unit could be the difference. (Artesia has scored 132 points in its last two games). Last time these two met, Roswell won a 48-42 semifinal playoff thriller with a last-play touchdown.
3. Sandia (2-5, 0-1 in 2/5-6A at Manzano (2-5, 0-2), 7 p.m. Thursday, Wilson Stadium: You might be asking why this matchup merits such a prestige slot. Well, the winner well could be the final 6A playoff team. And if you needed something else, there’s also the matter of Sandia coach Chad Adcox going up against his former school.
4. Clovis (5-3, 2-0 in 2/5-6A) at Eldorado (4-3, 0-1), Wilson Stadium: Clovis’ final two games are in Albuquerque, and this one puts the Wildcats against an Eagles team that didn’t fare badly against La Cueva’s defense — five turnovers notwithstanding.
5. Highland (5-2) at Farmington (6-1): The Hornets were roughed up a bit by Albuquerque High on Thursday, and this, their District 1-5A opener, is going to be an extremely difficult trip. Highland had better be sure it brings its solid run game.