The U.S. Supreme Court is expected to rule early next year on the Trump administration’s decision to discontinue the seven-year-old Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.
But the fate of DACA recipients may not just rest in the hands of the high court. President Donald Trump sent signals again last week that he might be willing to work with Congress on permanent protections for the recipients, who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children. His administration has in the past tried to tie the issue with the president’s desire to build a wall on the border with Mexico.
But U.S. Rep. Ben Ray Luján told the Journal last week he is unaware of any recent overtures from the administration about working with Congress on the issue. The Supreme Court heard oral arguments last Tuesday about the administration’s decision to discontinue the program.
“Two years ago, the Trump administration sent out signals that it would work with Congress to protect Dreamers and work on immigration reform,” the congressman said. “But there have been no overtures. And this week, the president sent out a tweet calling some DACA recipient criminals. In order to be eligible for DACA, you have to pass a comprehensive background check.”