Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

APD releases details of recent police shootings

Police shut down a Northeast Albuquerque neighborhood after officers shot and killed Raymond Tahod. (Roberto E. Rosales/Journal)

Copyright © 2019 Albuquerque Journal

A woman asked a friend to send police after her ex-boyfriend showed up at her home with a gun. Nine days later, a frantic mother called police to say a man tried to carjack her with two children in the car.

Both incidents ended with those men shot dead by police.

On Friday afternoon, the Albuquerque Police Department shed light on the two unrelated police shootings in October that killed Daniel Wood, 29, and Raymond Tahod, 27.

Police say that both men were armed at the time but that only Tahod shot at officers. Both shootings are still under investigation and, afterward, will be looked at by APD’s force review board.

There have been eight shootings by officers this year; four of them fatal.

During a Friday news conference, Lt. Scott Norris went over the two most recent shootings, showed evidence photos and lapel video and released the names of the officers involved.

‘I’ll shoot them’

The first shooting unfolded in the early hours of Oct. 14.

Daniel Wood (APD)

Norris said a man called 911 around 2 a.m. after a friend texted him saying her ex-boyfriend, later identified as Wood, was threatening her with a gun.

He said police went to the woman’s apartment in the 400 block of Tennessee NE, north of Copper. He said an officer saw Wood hold a gun to the woman’s head through a window.

Norris said officers spoke to Wood, who was still armed, at the front door but he refused to come out. The woman then called 911 and said she was alone and didn’t know why officers were at her apartment.

Believing the woman was being held against her will, he said, the SWAT team responded and a “hostage rescue plan” was authorized.

Officer Justin Jones and Officer Damian Lujan (APD)

When police went inside, Norris said, Wood pointed a gun at them but never fired it, before officers Justin Jones and Damian Lujan shot him nine times.

Both officers joined APD in 2007. Jones had been involved in two previous shootings, and Lujan had been involved in one.

Wood had a lengthy criminal history, including previous charges of criminal sexual penetration of a child under 13, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, false imprisonment and sexual exploitation of children.

Norris said those who knew Wood told police he had said in the past that “he would not go back to prison” and “if the cops come, it will be a shootout or I’ll shoot them.”

To say Wood’s girlfriend, Leticia Preciado, is still shook up over the incident is an understatement.

The gun police say Wood pointed at officers before he was fatally shot. (APD)

“I just wish it never happened,” she told the Journal Friday. “I wish they would’ve left when I told them to leave. … I wish they would’ve just left us.”

Preciado said Wood had a gun in his hand but he never put it to her head or threatened her with it. She said the two were still a couple and she was never a hostage.

“I wasn’t in danger,” she said.

Preciado said she suffers from panic attacks and anxiety since the incident. The apartment complex tried to evict her afterward, but she refused to leave. The carpet and walls still had blood on them, the door was still missing, she said.

She has cleaned up some of the mess – the hair and the blood – since.

“I’m just heartbroken,” she said.

‘Sorry about this’

The second shooting happened on the evening of Oct. 25.

Raymond Tahod (APD)

Norris said a woman called 911 around 5:45 p.m. and said a man tried to carjack her as she drove with her children in the 2600 block of Morningside, near Menaul and Carlisle.

Norris said Tahod, who matched the suspect’s description, asked a man for a ride soon afterward, and a Bernalillo County sheriff’s helicopter saw the two leave the neighborhood in the man’s turquoise truck.

He said officers Tomas Urioste and Jacob Perea pulled the truck over at Morningside and Menaul. As the officers approached, Tahod got out of the passenger side, drew a pistol and fired at police twice.

Urioste and Perea opened fire, shooting 26 rounds and killing Tahod.

Both officers joined the department in the past five years, and neither had been involved in a shooting before.

The driver of the truck told police Tahod pulled out a pistol and loaded it as he pulled over. Tahod told the driver he was “sorry about this” before getting out of

Officer Tomas Urioste and Officer Jacob Perea

the truck with the gun in his hand.


Officers discovered the gun had been stolen from a home in Northwest Albuquerque.

Tahod’s criminal history included charges for burglary, aggravated battery, child abuse, resisting arrest and driving while intoxicated.

Subscribe now! Albuquerque Journal limited-time offer

Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email or Contact the writer.