SANTA FE, N.M. — A 2-year-old boy was treated and released from medical care after ingesting what police identified as cocaine Thursday.
Santa Fe Police were called to a home on West San Francisco Street after 7 p.m., Capt. Aric Wheeler said.
A grandmother was looking after two boys, ages 2 and 6. She said the children may have ingested a substance in a small bindle, which Wheeler said was consistent with cocaine.
The children were taken to Christus St. Vincent Hospital, where the 2-year-old tested positive for the drug. He was in stable condition as of Friday afternoon, Wheeler said. Both children were released to their mother.
Wheeler said there have been no arrests or charges filed in the case. However, the incident is under the investigation by the police and the Children Youth and Families Department. Wheeler said the investigation has not determined where the bindle of cocaine came from or how the child obtained it. He said the children’s grandparents gave conflicting stories regarding the incident, but he would not elaborate on what those statements were.