ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Three years after the U.S. Department of Justice reached an agreement with the University of New Mexico to address the university’s handling of sexual assault and harassment on campus, the department has said it is ending its monitoring of the agreement.
“Based on this three-year review, we have determined that no further action is warranted at this time,” the Justice Department said in a letter to the university late last week. The department did, however, warn the university that the determination “does not preclude the Department’s investigation of future complaints against UNM, if any.”
UNM President Garnett Stokes announced the development at Tuesday morning’s meeting of the Board of Regents. In a statement, she said UNM has complied with all of the requirements of the 2016 agreement, which included training faculty, staff and students on sexual misconduct prevention at the university.