Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Man accused of second rape while prior case pending

SANTA FE — A man who is already facing charges for raping a 15-year-old girl in October allegedly raped another woman he met in downtown Santa Fe earlier this month.

The second alleged assault happened while the defendant, 23-year-old Maury Elliot, was not supposed to even be in New Mexico without permission. He was to reside in Nevada as part of his conditions of release in the October case.


Maury Elliot

According to a criminal complaint filed in Santa Fe Magistrate Court, the 27-year-old victim in the new case said she and a friend got a room at a downtown Santa Fe hotel on Jan. 9 and went bar hopping.

They were standing outside Evangelo’s around 10 p.m. when they were approached by a man, later identified as Elliot, who offered them cocaine.

The women refused, but Elliot followed them into the bar, the complaint says. The victim’s friend told police that Elliot was “creepy” and “up to no good,” so she left the victim at the bar and went back to the hotel.

The victim said she went upstairs to get money from an ATM and left her drink with Elliot, and from that point on her memory was unclear about the rest of the night, the complaint says. She believes she may have been drugged.

Despite “red flags” about Elliot, the woman said she got into an Uber with him and went to Elliot’s apartment.

At the apartment, the woman says Elliot tried to kiss her, but she tried to deny him. She said she remembers Elliot pushing her on top of a bed, take off her clothes and have sex with her. She said she reached for Elliot’s throat to push him away, but he pushed her hand away, the complaint says.

She said she left immediately after the assault and began walking down Cerrillos Road. The woman, who has been in the Texas National Guard, said she was hallucinating and heard “drill sergeants marching platoons,” the complaint says. She flagged down a city employee on Siler Road and got a ride back to her hotel. She called police the next morning.

In October, a 15-year-old high school student said she and a friend were sitting on a bench at the Santa Fe Plaza when Elliot and 25-year-old Derrick Chavez approached them and asked the girls if they wanted to drink some alcohol. They refused, a criminal complaint says.

But later that night, the girl said Chavez texted her and was able to convince her to sneak out of her house and meet with him and Elliot. She said that after drinking from a liquor bottle that was offered to her, she said her head felt heavy and she became dizzy.

The girl said she remembers being taken into a building and lying on a bed before Elliot took off her clothes and raped her. She said Chavez gave her a ride home the next day.

Chavez also faced rape charges in Santa Fe Magistrate Court, but they were dropped last month. A court filing says prosecutors were trying to work out a pre-indictment plea deal before taking the case to state District Court.

Subscribe now! Albuquerque Journal limited-time offer

Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email or Contact the writer.