Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Eastbound Rio Bravo to be closed 3 weeks for bridge repair

Eastbound Rio Bravo over the Rio Grande Bridge, pictured here on Saturday, has been reduced to a single lane, but all eastbound lanes of the bridge from Isleta to Poco Loco SW are scheduled to be closed starting Monday. (Jim Thompson/Albuquerque Journal)

Eastbound Rio Bravo over the Rio Grande Bridge, pictured here on Saturday, has been reduced to a single lane, but all eastbound lanes of the bridge from Isleta to Poco Loco SW are scheduled to be closed starting Monday. (Jim Thompson/Albuquerque Journal)

RIO BRAVO CLOSED FOR THREE WEEKS: As announced earlier this month, the New Mexico Department of Transportation is closing all eastbound lanes of the Rio Bravo Bridge from Isleta Boulevard to Poco Loco Drive starting Monday.

And the lanes will remain closed for three weeks.

Crews will be repairing a pier under the bridge, according to a news release from District 3 NMDOT spokeswoman Kimberly Gallegos. Drivers in the area are aware the bridge has been reduced to a single eastbound lane since December because of weight capacity issues and safety concerns. Over the last several weeks “a team of engineers has been working under the bridge, assessing the pier and designing a construction plan to replace the temporary repair.”

Detours include going south on Isleta and crossing the Rio Grande at Interstate 25, north on Isleta and crossing at Bridge Boulevard, and north on Coors and crossing at Interstate 40.

“NMDOT recognizes the inconvenience the bridge work has caused to the traveling public over the last couple of weeks – especially to those living and commuting in the South Valley,” Gallegos says. “NMDOT’s No. 1 priority is safety. … Expect delays and please be patient.”

ONE MORE MONTH OF WATERLINE WORK: That’s how long residents in the neighborhood affected by the waterline work at 12th Street and Menaul will have to deal with cut-through traffic. One caller left a message asking for any update and saying “people keep coming though Matthew.”

Here’s the latest on the new 30-inch and 6-inch waterline project from CWA Strategic Communications, which is handling information for the Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority:

• Jan. 27-31 – Complete removal of old waterlines and miscellaneous waterline work.

• Feb. 3-21 – Prepare Menaul and 12th Street for paving and repave both streets.

• Feb. 24-28 – Final construction activities, including roadway striping, installing concrete collars around manholes, etc.

During the work to keep crews safe and discourage those cut-through drivers, the CWA news release says:

• Menaul is closed from 10th Street to the Menaul extension. Eastbound Menaul is reduced to one lane from 10th Street through 5th Street. Westbound Menaul is reduced to one lane and shifted to the eastbound lanes from 6th Street to 10th Street.

• 12th Street is closed from La Poblana to just north of Turquoise Street. Southbound 12th Street is closed to through traffic at Matthew Avenue. Local access is via San Isidro and Los Arboles. All residential traffic for homes west of 12th Street will be able to exit via northbound 12th Street.

• Phoenix Avenue, La Poblana Road and Woodland Avenue are closed east of 12th Street. All residential traffic for homes east of 12th Street and south of Los Arboles will continue to be accessed via 10th Street.

For more information, contact Patti Watson, 245-3134 or 269-9691, pattiw@cwastrategic.com; Cristofer Romero, 245-3138, cristoferr@cwastrategic.com; or Rachel Stone, 289-3071, rstone@abcwua.org.

WHY IS NEW I-25 ALREADY TRASHED? That’s from ronfaich, who emails, “The relatively new southbound I-25 lane between Jefferson and Monta ñ o (is) seriously deteriorating so soon after construction.”

Gallegos says “that portion of the roadway will be redone during the ($70 million) Montgomery interchange (rebuild, to be finished in 2023). The last project that took place was on I-25 southbound between San Antonio and Jefferson. It did not go past Jefferson toward Montgomery.”

NMDOT’s other front-burner metro area interstate projects revealed at the Legislature last week include a $90 million rebuild of the I-25/Gibson interchange and pavement work on I-40 from Carnuel to Sedillo Hill and Coors to Atrisco Vista.

Editorial page editor D’Val Westphal tackles commuter issues for the Metro area on Mondays. Reach her at 823-3858; dwestphal@abqjournal.com; or 7777 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, N.M., 87109.

 

AlertMe

More on ABQjournal




TOP |