Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Farmington 2018 homicide to be featured on TV series

FARMINGTON – The family of a man stabbed to death by a Farmington teen in 2018 hopes an episode of a true crime television series will shine a light on the relatively light sentence they believe the defendant received.

The murder of 28-year-old Steven Begay is the focus of the second season premiere of “The Murder Tapes” on the Investigation Discovery channel. The show is set to air at 7 p.m. on Feb. 5.

The series focuses on using every conceivable form of video footage involved in a homicide to detail the investigation and apprehension of the suspect, according to a series description provided by Investigation Discovery.

The episode is about the April 6, 2018, killing of Steven Begay by then 17-year-old Trustin Begay (no relation) in the area of the Westside Estates Parks in west Farmington.

Trustin was convicted by a jury of voluntary manslaughter on June 13, 2019, and sentenced to two years in a youth detention center on June 20, according to The Daily Times archives.

He was sentenced as a juvenile under the New Mexico Children’s Code.

The show uses body-cam footage from the initial call police received about the incident to footage from cameras inside the Farmington Police Department to detail the investigation into Steven’s death to the eventual confession from Trustin.

Cheyenne Begay, Steven’s sister, was interviewed, along with Steven’s maternal grandmother Lena Johnson-Yazzie, Cheyenne told The Daily Times.

They were both in the Farmington District Court room as Trustin was sentenced in Steven’s death.

Cheyenne believes the justice system failed her brother and wanted the public to learn of the laws she believe protect minors who commit heinous crimes.

“Because of his age, he basically got away with murder,” Cheyenne Begay said.

Police Spokesperson Nicole Brown told The Daily Times Farmington that Police Chief Steve Hebbe thought participating in the show would highlight the professional work of their detectives, which doesn’t usually get discussed.

“This case was solved within 24 hours,” Brown said. “We wanted to highlight how professional (detectives) handled it.”


More on ABQjournal