Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

‘Bones’ Jones charged with DWI, negligent use of gun

Jonathan Jones, 32 (MDC)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Apparently Jon “Bones” Jones hasn’t been staying home.

The 32-year-old UFC light heavyweight champion was charged with DWI, negligent use of a weapon, possession of an open container and not having proof of insurance after police say they found him in Downtown Albuquerque in a running vehicle early Thursday morning.

Jones’s attorney did not respond to a request for comment and his publicist declined to comment.

According to a criminal complaint filed in Metropolitan Court, a little after 1 a.m. two Albuquerque Police Department officers heard a gunshot near 3rd and Central. When they arrived they said they saw “two unknown homeless subjects” and a black Jeep, which was running but parked.

Jones was in the driver’s seat, according to the complaint. It is unclear if the homeless people were in the Jeep or how they were connected to the incident.

Jones told police he did not know anything about the gunshot, according to the complaint. A DWI officer was called to the scene.

“I observed that he had blood shot watery eyes and a strong odor of alcohol coming from his facial region,” the DWI officer wrote in the complaint. “He did admit to driving earlier and had the intention to drive now.”

Jones exited the Jeep and performed poorly on three field sobriety tests, according to the complaint. His breathalyzer test was “at or above twice the legal limit,” the officer wrote.

According to an incident report, the officer found a partially empty liquor bottle and a loaded black handgun in the Jeep and a spent round outside the driver’s side door that matched the caliber of the handgun. The officer said he also saw that Jones had “a green, leafy substance on his shirt and pants, consistent with marijuana.”

Gilbert Gallegos, a spokesman for the Albuquerque Police Department, said the Gun Violence Reduction Unit will test the firearm and bullet casing as part of the investigation.

“Reducing gun violence in Albuquerque is our top priority,” he wrote in an email.

Jones was booked into the county jail and immediately released. His next court hearing is set for April 9.

This is not his first brush with the law. In October Jones pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct after a cocktail waitress said he slapped her at a strip club the previous April. He had been on probation on that case until Jan. 8.

In 2015, he pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident causing great bodily harm after police say he ran a red light and crashed into a car being driven by a pregnant woman.

 

Subscribe now! Albuquerque Journal limited-time offer

Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email yourstory@abqjournal.com or Contact the writer.
AlertMe
TOP |