A teenage boy and two young men are charged in a shooting that left a man dead and three others injured – including two teenage girls – at a home in Downtown Albuquerque last month.
Nathan Peco, 16, Alex Vallejos and Rudy Orozco, both 19, are each charged with an open count of murder, aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon and three counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon in the March 14 shooting that killed 38-year-old Jeff Baca.
Orozco was booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center on Tuesday and warrants have been issued for Peco and Vallejos. Police arrested Anthony Patrick Lopez, 19, and Nathaniel Hernandez, 18, last month in the case.
Officers responded to a shooting at the home in the 600 block of Arno SE, near Broadway and Coal SE, around 4 a.m. and found a woman and two teenage girls injured and Baca dead.
According to a criminal complaint filed in Metropolitan Court:
Witnesses told detectives the shooting stemmed from an earlier argument between Lopez and one of the teenage girls “over the music that was being played in the house at the time.”
One of the men inside the home told police that Lopez and several other young men, all of them armed, barged in hours after the argument and told everyone to get down before opening fire.
After his arrest, Lopez told detectives he believed someone from the Arno house tried to kick in his door after the disagreement and he called his friends – Hernandez, Orozco, Peco and Vallejos – to “go handle it” and let them know “they can’t mess with me” by robbing them.
Lopez told police he was the first one inside the house and told everyone to get down on the ground before handing his gun to Vallejos and going back outside. Lopez said he “heard multiple gunshots” but didn’t see who was shooting and all five left together afterward.