Copyright © 2020 Albuquerque Journal
Easter Sunday took on a grim note in New Mexico, as state officials announced six additional COVID-19 deaths, the highest number in a single day.
So far, the novel coronavirus has claimed 26 lives in the state. Department of Health officials also announced 74 additional cases of COVID-19, bringing New Mexico’s total to 1,245.
“Every New Mexican must work together to stem the spread of COVID-19,” the Governor’s Office said in a news release. “Stay home.”
The new deaths were:
• Two women in their 90s from Bernalillo County. Both had underlying medical conditions and one was hospitalized.
• A man in his 90s, also from Bernalillo County. He had underlying medical conditions.
• A woman in her 70s from Cibola County. She was hospitalized and had underlying medical conditions.
• A man in his 50s from Doña Ana County. He was hospitalized.
• A woman in her 90s from San Juan County. She was hospitalized.
Of the new cases announced, 38 are in Sandoval County, where the Pueblo of San Felipe and Zia Pueblo have been battling outbreaks. Another 18 of the new cases are in Bernalillo County. McKinley County has four new cases, Valencia County has three and San Juan County has two. Curry, Doña Ana, Eddy, Grant, Los Alamos, Otero, Santa Fe, Socorro and Torrance counties each had one new case.
“As of today, there are 80 individuals hospitalized in New Mexico for COVID-19,” the Governor’s Office said in its Sunday release. The state Health Department is reporting that 295 people who contracted COVID-19 have recovered.
For most, the coronavirus causes mild to moderate symptoms, and they recover within two to three weeks.
Older adults and people with chronic health problems are most at risk. Symptoms include a fever and respiratory trouble.