ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The Navajo Nation has extended its state of emergency through mid-May as COVID-19 continues to spread throughout the community.
An executive order issued by Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez on Tuesday says that the government had previously restricted or canceled all off-reservation travel and closed government offices; however, the virus continued to spread.
Therefore, the state of emergency and the closures will be extended from April 27 until at least May 17.
“The closure of Navajo Nation government offices may be extended beyond May 17, 2020, on the recommendation of the Navajo Health Command Operations Center, the Navajo Department of Emergency Management Operation Center, and the Navajo Epidemiology Center,” the order says.
The order also instructs Navajo Nation residents to continue complying with a curfew between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. and on weekends and to limit their movement to essential outings only.
“The provisions of this order shall be implemented consistent with the laws of the Navajo Nation and in a manner that advances the highest welfare of the People,” the order says.
The Navajo Nation has reported 1,282 COVID-19 cases and 48 deaths due to COVID-19. Navajo Health Command Operation officials have projected that the peak number of cases will occur in early or mid-May.