Q&A: House District 13 Edwina Cisneros
- NAME: Edwina Cisneros
- POLITICAL PARTY: Democratic
- OCCUPATION: Business Management Professional
- CITY OF RESIDENCE: Albuquerque
- RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: As a single mother of two boys, I understand what it takes to manage multiple priorities at once and understand the importance in the stability of community. For the last 10 years, I have been employed at Sandia National Labs. I have a B.A. Degree in Business Administration from UNM. I am a 2018 graduate of Emerge NM.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration/Finance, Master’s Degree in process
- CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: www.edwinafornm.com
- What steps should the Legislature take to ensure New Mexico has a balanced budget amid falling oil prices and an economic downturn prompted by the coronavirus outbreak?
- It is important that we begin diversifying our portfolio and work on initiatives to bring more manufacturing and technology companies to New Mexico.
- What more, if anything, should the Legislature do to address a court ruling that found New Mexico is failing to provide a sufficient education to all students?
- In the last two sessions, the Legislature has done a good job in meeting the needs, but more work should be done at the district level.
- What changes, if any, should New Mexico make to its gross receipts tax code?
- Taxes should equal the needs of government services, I only support taxing what is needed.
- Do you support or oppose legalizing recreational marijuana use in New Mexico and taxing its sales?
- I support legalizing the recreational use of marijuana, and use the tax revenue from sales to make necessary improvements to areas not only on the West Mesa but throughout the state.
- In recent years, New Mexico has steadily increased spending on early childhood programs, such as home visiting, prekindergarten and child care assistance, and created a new early childhood trust fund. Do you support or oppose a constitutional amendment that would withdraw more money from the Land Grant Permanent Fund to increase funding for early childhood services?
- Due to Covid-19, I am not sure the condition our economy will be in next year, and I look forward to the opportunity to review all legislation that helps continue the work to improve our education system.
- Do you support or oppose opening the state’s primary elections to voters who aren’t affiliated with either major political party?
- Every opportunity to get people to vote is important. We should encourage participation from voters not affiliated with a major political party.
- Do you support or oppose repealing a long-dormant 1969 state law that outlaws abortion, except in limited circumstances?
- I fully support repealing this law and support reproductive rights for all women.
- Would you support a merit-based evaluation system to determine how the state spends its capital outlay funding? Should each legislator be required to disclose which projects he or she funded?
- Capital Outlay funding decisions should be left to individual legislators as they know the needs of their district best. Yes, all legislators should be required to disclose all capital outlay funding allocations.
- Do you support or oppose requiring lobbyists to disclose which bills they advocate for or against?
- I fully support transparency in all levels of the legislative process.
- New Mexico is highly reliant on the oil and natural gas industries to generate revenue to fund state programs, as evidenced by recent oil boom and bust cycles. What are the things you would do to diversify the state’s economy and revenue base?
- We need to build up our manufacturing and technology companies in New Mexico. We send a lot of our manufacturing work to other states and bringing that work home would be so beneficial to our entire state.
- Do you support or oppose updating the current prohibition in the law on assisted suicide in order to allow aid-in-dying under certain medical circumstances?
- I support a person’s right to die with dignity. Assisted suicide is a decision that should be respected and made by the individual and their doctor.
12: Would you support or oppose a moratorium on fracking? And should the state impose additional renewable energy mandates as a way to address climate change concerns?
I would like to see more in-depth studies on the ecological impact and discuss the issue with the constituents of my district.
13. What steps should the Legislature take to address crime and improve public safety?
I will always vote in favor of citizen safety – superior communication, appropriate funding, salaries equal with experience, and enhance communication among agencies.
- Do you support or oppose the practice of legislative budget-writing committees holding closed-door meetings during the crafting of state spending bills? I would oppose any process that does not allow for full transparency and information to the public.
- Have you or your business, if you are a business owner, ever been the subject of any state or federal tax liens? No.
- Have you ever been involved in a personal or business bankruptcy proceeding? No.
- Have you ever been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of drunken driving, any misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other state? If so, explain No.