Q&A: Bernalillo County Treasurer Candidate Donny Daniels
- Name: Donny A. Daniels
- POLITICAL PARTY: Democrat
- PLACE OF RESIDENCE: Albuquerque
- AGE: 62
- EDUCATION: El Paso Community College Accounting Major 66hrs
- OCCUPATION: Information Technology Analyst II for Bernalillo County since 2015; Previous positions with Bernalillo County include business system analyst (2008-2015) and Treasury Taxpayer Service Manager (1998-2008)
- FAMILY: Wife of 32 years, Leticia Daniels; two children and two granddaughters
- POLITICAL/GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE: This is my first time running for a political office.
- CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: https://www.biopage.com/donnydaniels
1.) What professional investment management experience do you have?
I have worked with past Treasurers and investment companies to record, monitor and report investment transactions.
2.) Please describe your preferred investment strategy for the county?
Both the Treasurer and the County Board of Finance work together on investments. I believe this strategy has worked well, and I will continue to follow the county’s investment policy and maintaining oversight of investments.
3.) What, if anything, should the county treasurer’s office do differently if COVID-19 sends the country into a recession?
Cash on hand is key in any recession. I would reduce any unnecessary spending and look at what the county has projected for revenue collections. I would also reduce any long-term investing to provide additional income to sustain the county’s debt requirements.
4.) What would be your top priorities as treasurer?
I would continue to maximize efficiency through automating processes, implement new software and reviewing internal controls and procedures to prevent fraud and errors. I plan to make the Treasurer’s office a one-stop shop to provide customers with a central location to make payments for other county departments to minimize frustration.
5.) Why are you the best candidate for this office?
I’m detail-oriented, have a strong work ethic and I’m committed to learning. I believe collaboration is key to making sure the office runs efficiently. I helped implement the property tax system and the integrated cashiering system used today, and I’ve performed many of the jobs within the Treasurer’s office.
6.) Have you or your business, if you are a business owner, ever been the subject of any state or federal tax liens?
7.) Have you ever been involved in a personal or business bankruptcy proceeding?
8.) Have you ever been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of drunken driving, any misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other state?