Q&A: 2nd Judicial District Court judge Division 6 – Daniel E. Ramczyk
- Name: Daniel E. Ramczyk
- Political Party: Democratic
- Occupation: State district judge, 2nd Judicial District, New Mexico
- City of residence: Albuquerque
- Relevant experience: Twenty years practicing as an attorney including private practice with Miller Stratvert Torgerson & Schlenker PA, and public law as an assistant district attorney and an assistant city attorney with the Albuquerque City Attorney’s Office. Seventeen plus years as a New Mexico judge, with 16 years on the Metropolitan Court and one plus years on the District Court handling felony criminal dockets.
- Education: My education includes a B.A. from the University of New Mexico in 1980 in speech communications (graduated with honors); a J.D. from UNM Law School in 1983 (graduated with honors) and a certificate of completion from the National Judicial College in 2005 (general jurisdiction program).
- Campaign website: I do not have a campaign website. I am not accepting any campaign contributions.
- Major professional accomplishment: My major professional accomplishment is the fact that I was appointed by two different New Mexico governors to the Metro Court in 2003 and the District Court in 2019 and that I was retained by voters in 2006, 2010, 2014 and 2018.
- Major personal accomplishment: My major personal accomplishment was recognizing and getting help for my alcoholism many years ago and then subsequently volunteering to help other suffering alcoholics who were and are trying to achieve and maintain sobriety.
Why are you running and what strengths would you bring to the judiciary?
I am running as the incumbent judge of Division 6 of the Second Judicial District Court because I have the experience, common sense and dedication which this position requires. We have serious problems in Bernalillo County and the judiciary is an integral part of the solution.
Have you or your business, if you are a business owner, ever been the subject of any state or federal tax liens?
I have never been the subject of any state or federal tax liens.
Have you ever been involved in a personal or business bankruptcy proceeding?
I have never been involved in a personal or business bankruptcy proceeding.
Have you ever been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of drunken driving, any misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other state?
About forty years ago, as a young man in 1981, I plead guilty to driving while intoxicated. Judge Elizabeth Love ordered me to attend DWI school, which I completed, and she then dismissed the charges to the best of my recollection. Nothing before, nothing since.