Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Crews extinguish fire at ABQ retirement home

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A kitchen fire at a retirement community Saturday morning displaced 13 residents and sent another to the hospital, according to Albuquerque Fire Rescue.

AFR Lt. Brian Barnes said the fire ignited around 6:30 a.m. in an apartment at La Vida Llena near Juan Tabo and Montgomery NE.

Barnes said firefighters extinguished the blaze before it could reach any other areas of the facility.

“One patient was transported off scene with possible inhalation related injuries,” he said.

David Leibowitz, a La Vida Llena spokesman, said the hospitalized resident was not “seriously injured.”

He said seven apartments had smoke and water damage and the displaced residents will be housed in guest rooms as a crew repairs the damage.

La Vida Llena was hard hit by COVID-19, leading to the deaths of multiple residents and an ongoing investigation by the New Mexico Attorney General into its handling of the pandemic.

Subscribe now! Albuquerque Journal limited-time offer

Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email yourstory@abqjournal.com or Contact the writer.
AlertMe
TOP |