Badlands Burgers of Grants is the winner of the Governor’s Green Chile Cheeseburger Challenge held Tuesday at the New Mexico State Fair.
“It is my pleasure to award Badlands Burgers with the prestigious title of Best Green Chile Cheeseburger in New Mexico,” Gov. Bill Richardson said during the award presentation immediately following the cook-off at the state fairgrounds in Albuquerque.
Badlands Burgers beat out 19 other New Mexico restaurants. Each burger was anonymous to the judges, who utilized a point system based on taste, balance of ingredients and appearance, according to a news release from the Governor’s Office.
Tuesday, 22 September 2009 11:36
Twenty New Mexico restaurants will be competing Tuesday afternoon in the Governor’s Green Chile Cheeseburger Challenge at the New Mexico State Fair.
The festivities are scheduled to get under way at 3:15 p.m. in the Youth Hall Courtyard at the state fairgrounds in Albuquerque, with the winner of the competition for the best green chile cheeseburger in New Mexico expected to be announced shortly after 6 p.m., according to a news release from Gov. Bill Richardson’s office.
The judges for the competition are Benjie Segovia , New Mexico Department of Agriculture chile marketing and promotion specialist; Cheryl Alters-Jamison, world-renowned multiple-James Beard Award winning cookbook author; and chef Tyson Putman, chairman of the American Culinary Federation, Rio Grande Valley Chapter.
The news release listed the roster of contestants as follows:
- 300 Club (Holiday Bowl, Albuquerque)
- Airport Grille (Alamogordo)
- Ancient Way Cafe (Ramah)
- Badlands Burgers (Grants)
- Bibo Bar & Grille (Seboyeta)
- Burger Boy (Cedar Crest)
- Chef Damon’s Restaurant (Taos)
- Chef’s Bistro (Albuquerque)
- Circle T Restaurant (Belen)
- Don’s Chuck Wagon (Blanco)
- El Pinto Restaurant (Albuquerque)
- Embudo Station (Embudo)
- Fat Sat’s Bar & Grill (Belen)
- Home of the Laguna Burger (Laguna Superette, Laguna)
- Independence Grill (Albuquerque)
- Katrinah’s East Mountain Grill (Edgewood)
- Monte Carlo Steakhouse (Albuquerque)
- O’Niell’s Pub (Albuquerque)
- Paso Monte Grill (Alto)
- Sheepherder’s Café (Albuquerque)