Andrell Barney Jr. is listed as a cornerback and running back for Basha High School in Chandler, Arizona.
But his coach, Chris McDonald, said Barney is better referred to as an athlete.
Since his sophomore year he has played on Basha’s varsity team, contributing as a running back, receiver, cornerback, punt returner, and kick returner. He is also a standout as a sprinter on the track and field team.
McDonald believes University of New Mexico has picked up an “extremely athletic” football player for its 2021 class.
Barney, a 5-foot-11, 185-pound cornerback, announced via Twitter on Tuesday that he has committed to the Lobos.
Barney took a virtual visit with UNM on May 19 according to his Twitter timeline.
He also had offers from Hawaii, Nevada, and New Mexico State.
He is listed as a three-star prospect by 247 Sports.
“What made me want to decide on the Lobos was how hard they were recruiting me and just the staff that came in there,” Barney said. “The staff that came in has some great history and I want to be a part of their future.”
Barney is the 13th commit for the Lobos’ 2021 class, the second defensive back in the group and the first from Arizona.
“He’s got an opportunity, in terms of speed, to be a state qualifier in the 100, 200, and 400 (meters),” McDonald said of Barney. “He’s fast. He’s got track speed. He’s weight-room strong. He’s got a lot of potential. I don’t think he has even scratched the surface yet of his true potential.”
Barney said he was determined to reach the state track meet as a junior but the season was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. He said his personal best in the 200 meters is 22.1 seconds.
He is hopeful to become a state qualifier next spring after completing his senior season in football at Basha.
“I can say that my highest achievement in my life so far has been committing to the University of New Mexico,” Barney said. “Just being able to go to college and play football and have the opportunity to go beyond that is just so exciting to me. I’m very blessed for the opportunity actually.”
— ANDRELL BARNEY JR (@Drell_BarneyJr) June 23, 2020
2021 commits for UNM football
- Luke Wysong, 5-foot-10, 170 pounds, wide receiver, Cleveland High, Rio Rancho
- Keyonta Lanier, 6-2, 170, wide receiver, Long Beach Poly in California
- Michael Murray, 6-3, 200, wide receiver, Lampasas High in Texas
- Benji Johnson, 6-3, 195, wide receiver, Hooks High in Texas
- Ronald Wilson, 5-10, 180, safety, North Crowley High in Fort Worth, Texas
- Andrell Barney Jr., 5-11, 185, cornerback, Basha High in Chandler, Arizona
- Jaden Phillips, 6-foot-2, 240, defensive end, Clovis High
- Jacob Trussell, 6-6, 215, tight end, Georgetown High in Texas
- Joshua Atkins, 6-4, 280, offensive tackle, Mansfield Timberview High in Arlington, Texas
- Dayton Robinson, 6-5, 280, offensive tackle, Mansfield Timberview High in Arlington, Texas
- Isaiah Sillemon, 6-3, 285, offensive guard, Lancaster High in Texas
- Larry Luna, 6-5, 260, offensive lineman, Goddard High, Roswell
- Sebastian Sims, 6-3, 275, offensive lineman, Butte College in Oroville, California