Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Man charged in shooting that left accomplice dead, police say

APD officers tape off an section of the parking lot of the Four Hills Studios in the 12900 block of Central NE after a shooting happened around noon Saturday. A male victim was taken to the hospital where he succumbed from his wounds. (Jim Thompson/Albuquerque Journal)

Ahmond Bridges

Copyright © 2020 Albuquerque Journal

Albuquerque’s most recent shooting death is looking to be a case of friendly fire.

Police say Ahmond Bridges, 36, and Michael Baisden opened fire at some onlookers at an East Central hotel Saturday morning before Baisden stepped in front of Bridges and was fatally struck by bullets.

Baisden was pronounced dead at the hospital soon after and Bridges is now charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, five counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and two counts of tampering with evidence.

Bridges, who police say is a convicted felon from Alabama with multiple counts of attempted murder on his rap sheet, is also charged with possession of a firearm by a felon.

According to a criminal complaint filed in Metropolitan Court:

Police responded around 11:45 a.m. to a fight outside the Four Hills Studios in the 12900 block of Central, west of Tramway. Arriving officers were told a man, later identified as Baisden, had been shot and taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Witnesses told police two men were “kicking, punching and pistol whipping” another man in the parking lot before a mailman in the area yelled at them to stop. The two men believed they were being yelled at by onlookers outside an adjacent mobile home and, within minutes, both men opened fire.

As the men were shooting at those outside the mobile home, witnesses said, one man stepped in front of the other and was shot before being loaded into a truck and driven away. Soon after, police say Bridges showed up at the hospital with a fatally wounded Baisden.

A man at the hotel told police Baisden and Bridges attacked him after his girlfriend, Bridges’ sister, made domestic violence allegations against him. The man said both men beat him “for nearly 20 minutes” inside an apartment and threatened two others at gunpoint when they tried to intervene.

The man told police the pair left, but then returned, dragged him outside, and beat him in the parking lot until someone yelled at them. He said the two men got distracted, arguing with those at a nearby mobile home, and he ran back toward the apartments as Baisden and Bridges started shooting.

After being detained, Bridges refused to speak with police and requested a lawyer.

Subscribe now! Albuquerque Journal limited-time offer

Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email or Contact the writer.