Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

UNM athletic department signs new licensing deal

University of New Mexico Athletics has entered a five-year partnership granting Affinity Licensing the exclusive rights to manage the University’s trademark licensing program. The agreement took effect July 1, was signed July 9 and was announced Thursday.

Per the contract, UNM receives a $50,000 signing bonus, $25,000 of it up front, and will receive 85 percent on the first $450,000 in royalties collected annually, with Affinity taking the other 15 percent. On annual royalties above $450,000, UNM’s take is 90 percent, Affinity’s 10 percent.

Affinity is also required to spend $10,000 annually to “grow the University’s brand licensing efforts,” per the agreement, and to collaborate with UNM on how to best spend that money. Otherwise, Affinity is an independent contractor and not employed by UNM.

“Affinity’s collegiate licensing division is continually expanding,” said Dave Williams, UNM’s Deputy Director of Athletics, in a statement from the school, “and the chance to serve as a major institution under their banner will allow our department and our fans to reap many benefits.”

Affinity, with offices in Carlsbad, Calif., and Winston-Salem, N.C., boasts more than 100 years of collective licensing expertise.

UNM said Affinity offers “access to innovative technology and processes that allow for better brand protection, as well as the option of leveraging “Affinity’s retail and merchandising expertise to expand product categories, launch new products and grow retail distribution.”

Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a story about how coronavirus has affected you, your family or your business? Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? What issues related to the topic would you like to see covered? Or do you have a bright spot you want to share in these troubling times?
   We want to hear from you. Please email or Contact the writer.