Q&A: New Mexico Court of Appeals Position One Candidate Zach Ives
- NAME: Zach Ives
- POLITICAL PARTY: Democratic
- OCCUPATION: Judge, New Mexico Court of Appeals
- CITY OF RESIDENCE: Albuquerque
- RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: Judicial clerk, Chief Justice Pamela B. Minzner, New Mexico Supreme Court, 2000-2001. Private practice, 2001-2019: diverse litigation work included appeals; civil cases involving various topics including civil rights, commercial, employment, adult guardianship; criminal cases. Chair, New Mexico Supreme Court Uniform Criminal Jury Instruction Committee. Mentor to new lawyers, State Bar of New Mexico’s Bridge the Gap Program.
- EDUCATION: Vassar College, AB, political science, honors, Phi Beta Kappa, 1995. University of New Mexico School of Law, magna cum laude, clinical and thesis honors, 2000.
- CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: www.keepjudgeives.com
- MAJOR PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: As a judge, my greatest accomplishment has been contributing to the successful effort by the entire Court of Appeals to address our backlog. This has involved a great deal of work over an extended time by many people. With a heavy caseload and limited resources, it is very challenging to keep the cases moving while ensuring that each one gets the thorough and careful treatment it deserves. I believe I have responded to that challenge well.
- MAJOR PERSONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: Parenting two wonderful children with my wife.
Why are you running and what strengths would you bring to the judiciary?
I am running to keep my seat on the Court of Appeals because I believe I can continue to make a positive contribution to the judiciary. As a fifth-generation New Mexican, the opportunity to serve is especially meaningful to me, and I am very grateful to Gov. Lujan Grisham for appointing me. I have a deep commitment to applying the law fairly to all people, businesses, and government entities. My experience in several different areas of law, including appeals, is a good fit for a court like ours, which hears a wide variety of cases. I believe that my analytical and writing skills, work ethic, integrity, and conscientiousness bring value to our court.
1. Have you or your business, if you are a business owner, ever been the subject of any state or federal tax liens?
2. Have you ever been involved in a personal or business bankruptcy proceeding?
3. Have you ever been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of drunken driving, any misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other state?