Q&A: New Mexico Court of Appeals Position Two Candidate Stephen P. Curtis
- NAME: Stephen P. Curtis
- POLITICAL PARTY: Libertarian
- OCCUPATION: Attorney
- CITY OF RESIDENCE: Los Ranchos de Albuquerque
- RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: Practice of law for 42 years in New Mexico.
- EDUCATION: B.S., engineering sciences, Northwestern University 1971; J.D. University of Virginia School of Law 1978
- CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: curtis4nm.org
- MAJOR PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: Obtained a $2 million judgment for a client in a mine shaft construction case; obtained a reversal of a bankruptcy court judgment before the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- MAJOR PERSONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: A week of heli-skiing in northern British Columbia.
Why are you running and what strengths would you bring to the judiciary?
Our Court of Appeals needs a fresh perspective with the court now populated mainly with Democrats with a sprinkling of Republicans. I will fully support our constitutions and the Bill of Rights to protect the rights of citizens. I believe our courts are far too solicitous of government actions, and I would strictly apply the Bill of Rights to protect the rights of people and businesses.
1. Have you or your business, if you are a business owner, ever been the subject of any state or federal tax liens?
2. Have you ever been involved in a personal or business bankruptcy proceeding?
3. Have you ever been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of drunken driving, any misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other state?