- NAME: Thomas C. Montoya
- POLITICAL PARTY: Republican
- OCCUPATION: Attorney
- CITY OF RESIDENCE: Albuquerque
- RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: Three times selected as qualified to be District Court judge by the 2nd Judicial District Judicial Selection Nominating Committee. Member for 21 years: American Law Institute. Chair: New Mexico Supreme Court Rules of Civil Procedure Sub-Committee, which promulgated statewide rules of procedure for domestic relations and domestic violence cases. Co-chair: Child Support Guidelines Commission responsible for promulgation of New Mexico’s statutory child support guidelines. Member: New Mexico Crime Victims Reparation Commission 2005-2013. Drafted, lobbied and obtained sponsors for over 30 statutory enactments in family law. Cited as authority in three New Mexico Appellate Court opinions. 38 years experience as a trial lawyer in family law and domestic relations.
- EDUCATION: Stanford University 1970-1974; University of Southern California J.D. 1978.
- CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: tommontoyaforcourtofappeals.com
- MAJOR PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: See relevant experience
- MAJOR PERSONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: 33 year marriage, two sons, one a lawyer and business owner, the other a lawyer.
Why are you running and what strengths would you bring to the judiciary?
I have devoted my entire 38 year career to the field of domestic relations, or family law, which covers a very wide variety of all the civil laws which arise in those cases, and during my professional career, as shown by my experience, I have worked hard to approve the administration of justice in these areas. To my knowledge, there have been very few appellate judges with a substantial background in family law, and I am able to help the court and the public in these important areas, as well as others cases arising before the Court of Appeals.
1. Have you or your business, if you are a business owner, ever been the subject of any state or federal tax liens?
2. Have you ever been involved in a personal or business bankruptcy proceeding?
3. Have you ever been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of drunken driving, any misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other state?