- NAME: Jane B. Yohalem
- POLITICAL PARTY: Democratic
- OCCUPATION: Judge on the Court of Appeals. Previously was an appeals lawyer.
- CITY OF RESIDENCE: Santa Fe
- RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: I have been an appeals specialist in New Mexico for more than 30 years. I have represented people in every corner of New Mexico and in almost every area of the law. My career began as a civil rights lawyer representing children with disabilities. I have represented indigent families in termination of parental rights cases for many years. I have been counsel in over 400 appeals, more than 100 of them have been published, advancing the law of New Mexico.
- EDUCATION: B.A. Yale University; JD Columbia Law School, LLM Georgetown Law School.
- CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: janeforjudge.com
- MAJOR PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: Successfully advocating for the New Mexico Supreme Court’s decision in In re Grace H., 2014-NMSC-034. Based on my briefs and arguments, our Supreme Court interpreted New Mexico’s Children’s Code to require the State to evaluate and to provide services to every New Mexico family whose child is taken into State custody. This decision ensures equal access to State assistance for all New Mexico families, regardless of race or family composition.
- MAJOR PERSONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: Raising two wonderful children who are active contributors to this State’s politics and culture.
Why are you running and what strengths would you bring to the judiciary?
I am running because I believe in the importance of a strong judicial system in ensuring that all citizens receive equal justice under the law. This is more important now than ever. I bring to the court a commitment to serve the people of New Mexico; an extensive knowledge of and experience in virtually all aspects of New Mexico law; the ability to write clearly and concisely about difficult legal issues, and a deep understanding of the appellate process.
1. Have you or your business, if you are a business owner, ever been the subject of any state or federal tax liens?
2. Have you ever been involved in a personal or business bankruptcy proceeding?
3. Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or any felony in New Mexico or any other state?