Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Freezing temps, snow possible early next week

Copyright © 2020 Albuquerque Journal

After several weeks of near-record unseasonable heat, New Mexico will see some cooler temperatures beginning this weekend, with a Friday cold front moving into the eastern part of the state before a dramatic drop and hard freeze headed for the Albuquerque area over Monday night.

On Friday, Tucumcari and Clovis will drop from this week’s highs near 90 degrees to highs in the mid-50s.

That cold air may seep into the Albuquerque area on Friday, said Randall Hergert, meteorologist with the National Weather Service office in Albuquerque.

“We’ll have to see how far west that backdoor cold front comes through,” Hergert said. “We’re expecting at least a moderate cooldown through the Rio Grande Valley, and that cooldown is going to be lesser so the farther west you get.”

Monday will bring the first hard freeze of the season to most of northern and central New Mexico.

Temperatures in Albuquerque will dip into the mid-20s on Monday night, with a 60% chance of precipitation that day and a 40% chance of rain-snow mix on Tuesday.

Tuesday also is forecast to hit a rather low high of 47 degrees in Albuquerque, and a high of 42 degrees in Santa Fe. Chama and Taos have a 70% chance of precipitation on that day.

“Outside of that chance for a storm Sunday and Monday,” Hergert said, “we’re moving back to drier conditions after that.”

Weather forecasters are also monitoring high wind gusts this weekend that could fuel critical fire weather in eastern New Mexico.

Subscribe now! Albuquerque Journal limited-time offer

Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email yourstory@abqjournal.com or Contact the writer.
TOP |