The state tallied 1,141 additional cases of COVID-19, a record daily case count, and nine more deaths related to the virus. The state has had its three highest totals — including 1,010 and 1,082 — in the past week.
Nora Meyers Sackett, a Governor’s Office spokeswoman, said all but one of those who died were hospitalized and had underlying conditions. They include;
- A woman in her 80s from Bernalillo County who was a resident of the South Valley Care Center facility in Albuquerque
- A woman in her 80s from Chaves County
- A woman in her 50s from Cibola County
- A woman in her 70s from Doña Ana County who was a resident of the Adobe Assisted Living facility in Las Cruces
- A man in his 40s from Lea County
- A woman in her 30s and a man in his 70s from Otero County
- A woman in her 90s from Santa Fe County who was a resident of the Kingston Residence of Santa Fe facility
- A woman in her 50s from Socorro County
There have now been 1,045 New Mexicans who have died from the virus
The majority of new cases came from Bernalillo and Doña Ana counties with 262 and 270, respectively. There were also 108 new cases in Chaves County, 97 in Santa Fe County and 85 in Lea County.
There were also 37 new cases among inmates and 14 cases among staff at the Penitentiary of New Mexico in Santa Fe County.
Hospitalizations also continued to rise around the state.
The state reported 401 hospitalizations on Tuesday, another single-day record. The number of COVID-19 patients in New Mexico hospitals has more than quadrupled over the past last month and risen over 30% in the last week alone.
The total may include patients being treated in New Mexico after testing positive for the virus in another state but not those from New Mexico who are hospitalized elsewhere.
Currently, 76% of New Mexico’s general hospital beds are occupied and 67% of the state’s intensive care unit beds are in use, according to data released by the governor’s office.
Of those hospitalizations, 48 people are on ventilators.
Journal Staff Writer Jessica Dyer contributed to this report