Recover password

UPDATED: Deputy Fired Eight Shots at Driver

5:37 p.m. — The Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office has identified the deputy whose foot was injured during a crash investigation over the weekend, and a spokesman said the deputy fired eight shots at the driver during the incident.

Deputy Jesse Cash has not yet returned to work but was released from the hospital recently after his left foot was injured Feb. 24 in the South Valley.

Also, a BSCO spokesman said Cash was the only deputy who fired shots, contradicting earlier reports that four deputies had discharged their weapons as driver, 22-year-old Damien Necochea, drove through the scene.

Necochea was not injured.

The three other deputies who witnessed the shooting — Sean Morper, Gregory Grundhoffer and Nicholas Marrujo –are on administrative leave pending their interviews about the confrontation, the spokesman said.

The District Attorney’s office will review the case after BCSO completes the investigation. Cash has worked with BCSO since February 2010.


Continue reading

Four Bernalillo County Sheriff’s deputies fired shots during an incident in the South Valley over the weekend in which a 22-year-old Albuquerque man allegedly drove through the scene of a traffic crash investigation and struck a deputy with his car, officials said.

The deputy who was struck was taken to an area hospital with minor injuries around 9 p.m. Sunday, said Sheriff’s spokesman Deputy Aaron Williamson. He was released Monday morning.

Authorities arrested Damian Necochea a few blocks from the scene of the crash investigation — Bridge and La Vega SW, Williamson said. Nocochea, who was not hit by any of the shots fired by deputies, was booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center around 4:20 a.m. Monday on a felony charge of aggravated battery on a police officer resulting in great bodily harm, and he remained at the West Side jail late Monday on a $15,000 cash or surety bond.

In an email, Williamson said the four deputies were on “standard paid administrative leave” while BCSO personnel investigate the incident. He refused to release their names.
— This article appeared on page C2 of the Albuquerque Journal