Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

New details in yesterday’s SWAT standoff, police shooting

4 p.m. 3/20/13 UPDATE:

Authorities say they have matched one of the guns used by the man and killed by a State Police officer during a SWAT standoff on Tuesday to the .45 caliber handgun used to shoot an APD officer on Sunday night.

Kendall Carroll, 21.

Kendall Carroll, 21.

Michael Carroll, 20.

Michael Carroll, 20.

Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz also said Michael Carroll told investigators that his brother, Kendall Carroll, was intentionally shooting at officers in the Sunday night incident. Rookie officer Ignas Danius was released from an area hospital yesterday and has begun physical therapy.

Michael Carroll is in jail at the Metropolitan Detention Center at this hour. He surrendered during the hours-long standoff at an apartment complex on the 13000 block of Constitution NE, and he is being held at the West Side jail without bond for a warrant stemming from a previous charge. It is still unclear what charges, if any, he will face for yesterday’s incident.

Kendall Carroll shot numerous times at police during the standoff, Schultz told reporters today, although he did not know exactly how many. The standoff ended when Kendall Carroll appeared in a doorway at the complex, holding a .380 caliber handgun, and was shot once by State Police SWAT sniper Shane Todd, a six-year veteran of the department.

Earlier in the standoff, APD K-9 officer Michael Hernandez fired four shots at Kendall Carroll with his AR-15 rifle as other officers shot tear gas into the apartment Carroll was occupying, Schultz said. None of those shots hit the 21-year-old, who police said had 29 contacts with law enforcement in his life, beginning when he was 11 years old.

Schultz described yesterday’s scene as “extremely dangerous” because Carroll had control of two apartments with numerous windows. Kendall Carroll had an extensive “field of fire,” the chief said, that included positions where officers were stationed and several other apartment complexes.

During the standoff, authorities learned from people who called police, confidential informants and Michael Carroll that Kendall Carroll didn’t intend to surrender peacefully.

“The information was that this situation wasn’t going to end the way we wanted it to end,” Schultz said.

It is unclear whether Kendall Carroll was pointing a gun at either Hernandez or Todd at the time the officers shot at him.

“Armed is armed,” State Police Chief Robert Schilling said today. “The gun was clearly visible in his hand.”

APD and State Police have launched a joint investigation into the incident, Schultz said, with APD taking the lead.

Pick up a copy of tomorrow’s paper for a complete report.


9:00am 3/20/13 UPDATE:

Albuquerque police have identified the man who was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon after a SWAT standoff in far northeast Albuquerque as Kendall Carroll, who would have turned 22 this month.

Carroll’s brother, who surrendered during the standoff and was subsequently booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center, was identified as Michael Carroll, 20, according to APD spokeswoman, Officer Tasia Martinez.


A New Mexico State Police officer on Tuesday afternoon shot and killed a man during a lengthy SWAT standoff that included at least one exchange of gunfire between the man and police at an apartment complex in the far Northeast Heights, officials said.

Albuquerque police had initially gone to the apartment on the 13000 block of Constitution NE, near Tramway and Indian School, Tuesday morning after receiving information that a man who had wounded an APD officer with gunfire on Sunday night was there, Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz said during a news conference.

Police have not said whether the man who was shot – or his brother, who surrendered midway through the standoff – was their “primary suspect” in the weekend shooting.

SWAT teams from State Police, the Albuquerque Police Department and the Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office arrived at the scene and shot numerous tear gas canisters into the apartment, Schultz said, when two men refused orders to come outside.

Family members at the scene identified the two men as brothers Kendal and Mikey. The family declined to provide their last name or ages, although they did say the men were in their early 20s. It was not immediately clear which of the men was killed.

During the standoff, which lasted more than four hours, both men shot at police from an apartment window, Schultz said. At some point, the two men forced their way into an adjacent apartment from inside and continued shooting at police from a different window.

One of the men surrendered midway through the incident after police fired a volley of gas into the apartment complex. He was then arrested, police said.

After he surrendered, police hit the complex with a second round of tear gas grenades, Schultz said. As that unfolded, an APD SWAT team officer fired at least one shot at the man who remained inside but missed, he said.

Officers later spotted the remaining man in a doorway holding a gun. That’s when the State Police officer shot him once. The man died at the scene.

During the course of the standoff, Schultz said police made more than 90 phone calls to the suspects, but the men did not comply with commands.

After the fatal shooting, police entered the apartment and found “multiple” casings in both apartments, Schultz said. A handgun was found next to the man who was shot, the chief said.

As family members waited outside the crime tape for news from police Tuesday afternoon, they could be heard recounting events from earlier that day when police arrived at the complex.

One woman said police arrived Tuesday morning and ordered the tenants of one apartment to leave. The woman said the brothers’ grandmother – who is elderly and blind – answered the door.

At least four family members said they were ordered out at gunpoint, and that several people left the apartment without shoes on.

A woman who appeared to be the suspect’s mother grew increasingly distraught as she waited for news, screaming at officers at one point: “Is he alive?” Police did not answer her.

A crowd gathered outside the crime tape as the event unfolded. Family members and others somehow got word of the man’s death before it was confirmed officially, and some bystanders threatened and insulted police.

“It’s open season on all you (expletive),” one man shouted before getting in his vehicle and driving away.

Tenants at the apartment complex were not allowed to leave and were encouraged to stay near the back of their apartments. Schultz said the size and complexity of the crime scene presented numerous dangers, so no tenant could have safely left or entered the apartments.

He said State Police and sheriff’s officers were called in to assist because of the ongoing nature of the call.

Several neighbors reported anxiety attacks, Schultz said. He said one nursing mother was denied access to her baby throughout the hours-long standoff.

Two schools, Chelwood Elementary School and Calvary Christian Academy, were on lockdown for much of the afternoon.

Family members could also be heard talking about the Sunday night shooting.

Robert Vaughn, who identified himself as the suspects’ uncle, said it was a ricochet that hit the officer on Sunday, and that the shooting was not intentional.

Schultz said Tuesday that officers had confirmed one of the brothers was the “primary suspect” in Sunday’s shooting of an officer investigating a reported theft in Southeast Albuquerque.

One of the bullets, fired from a .45 caliber handgun, struck the rookie officer in the lower back after ricocheting off the ground.

Schultz said the officer, who has not been named, has since been released from the hospital.
— This article appeared on page A1 of the Albuquerque Journal