Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Gun found at standoff was used to shoot cop

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Authorities say they have matched one of the guns used by the 21-year-old man shot and killed by a State Police officer during a SWAT standoff on Tuesday to the .45 caliber handgun used to shoot an APD officer on Sunday night.

Michael Carroll, 20.

Michael Carroll, 20.

Kendall Carroll, 21.

Kendall Carroll, 21.

Kendall Carroll was killed shortly before 4 p.m. after an hourslong standoff in which he was holed up in a Northeast Heights apartment and fired numerous times at police. His brother, Michael Carroll, was with him in the apartment, but surrendered about midway through the incident.

During a news conference on Wednesday, Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz said Michael Carroll told investigators that Kendall was intentionally shooting at officers in the Sunday night incident.

That contradicts what the brothers’ uncle, Robert Vaughn, told the Journal on Tuesday when he said his nephew hadn’t been trying to shoot at police.

The APD officer who was struck in the lower back by the richochet of a bullet on Sunday, rookie Ignas Danius, was released from an area hospital Tuesday and has begun physical therapy, Schultz said.

Michael Carroll was in jail at the Metropolitan Detention Center on Wednesday evening, and he was being held without bond on a warrant stemming from a previous charge.

Police don’t yet know whether Michael Carroll, 20, shot at police during the standoff at the apartment complex in the 13000 block of Constitution NE. It is unclear what charges, if any, he will face for Tuesday’s incident.

Kendall Carroll, on the other hand, shot numerous times at police during the standoff, Schultz told reporters Wednesday. He said he did not know exactly how many times he fired.

The standoff ended when Kendall Carroll appeared in a doorway holding a .380 caliber handgun and was shot once by State Police SWAT sniper Shane Todd, a six-year veteran of the department, authorities said.

Earlier in the standoff, APD K-9 officer Michael Hernandez fired four shots at Kendall Carroll with his AR-15 rifle as other officers shot tear gas into the apartment in an attempt to get Kendall Carroll to come out, Schultz said.

None of those shots hit the 21-year-old, who officials said has had 29 encounters with law enforcement, beginning when he was 11 years old, including several arrests.

Since turning 18, Kendall Carroll has twice pleaded guilty to felony drug charges, according to court and jail records. He has spent several months in the county jail.

Michael Carroll, court and jail records show, pleaded guilty last March to a felony charge of battery on a police officer. He was arrested again in January on charges of aggravated burglary and false imprisonment. He was due in court for those charges on Wednesday, and he is currently on probation.

Investigators found the .45 caliber handgun in a toilet tank inside the apartment, Schultz said. Its magazine was empty, and there was no bullet in the chamber. The .380 caliber handgun was recovered next to Kendall Carroll’s body with a bullet in the chamber and five bullets in the magazine.

Neither gun was reported stolen, the chief said. Both were purchased by someone in Albuquerque, and police are trying to locate that person for questioning.

‘Extremely dangerous’

Schultz described Tuesday’s scene as “extremely dangerous” because Kendall Carroll had control of two apartments with numerous windows. He had an extensive “field of fire,” the chief said, that included positions where officers were stationed and several other apartment complexes.

During the standoff, people who called police, confidential informants and Michael Carroll told authorities that Kendall Carroll didn’t intend to surrender peacefully, Schultz said.

“The information was that this situation wasn’t going to end the way we wanted it to end,” he said.

It is unclear whether Kendall Carroll was pointing a gun at either Hernandez or Todd at the time the officers shot at him.

“Armed is armed,” State Police Chief Robert Shilling said at the news conference. “The gun was clearly visible in his hand … and the threat was immediate.”

Police crisis negotiators tried more than 90 times to contact Kendall Carroll by telephone during the standoff, Schultz said. On some of those occasions, Kendall Carroll hung up on officers. Other times, he refused to answer. Once, he promised to come out of the apartment, and at least once he called 911.

Family members criticized police on Tuesday for not allowing them to try to talk to Kendall Carroll.

APD and State Police have launched a joint investigation into the incident, Schultz said, with APD taking the lead.

Albuquerque officers called in State Police and the Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office because they needed additional resources, including armored vehicles, to manage the large, volatile scene, Schultz said.

The incident began as part of APD’s investigation into Sunday’s shooting of an officer. After that shooting, APD detectives started working with confidential informants to learn the identity of the man who shot officer Danius, the chief said. Tips eventually led the officers to the apartments on Constitution NE.

After conducting surveillance on the apartment for a period of time, Schultz said, detectives used a PA system to order everyone inside that apartment to leave. Three women left the apartment and confirmed to officers that the brothers were still inside.

That’s when the SWAT team was called in.
— This article appeared on page A1 of the Albuquerque Journal