Genaro Sandoval, 34, of Gallup, was formally charged Tuesday in a grand jury indictment with more than two dozen counts related to his alleged luring of young boys into Albuquerque arroyos, sometimes raping them, KOB-TV is reporting.
The indictment charges Sandoval with 25 counts from kidnapping to criminal sexual penetration stemming from an Albuquerque Police Department investigation, Eyewitness News 4 reported.
Four young boys, three of them under 12 years of age, are mentioned in the indictment, KOB-TV reported.
If convicted on all counts, Sandoval could be looking at a virtual lifelong prison sentence, the station said.
"If you add up all of the years this individual is looking at, it's a very, very serious case," District Attorney Kari Brandenburg told KOB-TV. "He's looking at over 200 years exposure and all the counts he's been charged with."
Sandoval is being held at the Metropolitan Detention Center on a $1 million bond.
Sandoval was arrested at his Gallup home on Nov. 14, initially charged only in connection with an August 2003 molestation that occurred in an arroyo near Comanche and Juan Tabo NE, according to an earlier Albuquerque Journal report.
Albuquerque police said Sandoval — who was working as a paramedic and training coordinator for Med-Star Ambulance Service and was on probation for tricking three Gallup boys into exposing themselves — was on their radar for at least two years in their intense search for the man who molested up to six children in Albuquerque's arroyos between August 2003 and November 2005, the Journal reported.
When Albuquerque and State Police officers caught up with Sandoval in Gallup earlier this month, he was living with a woman and two boys, the Journal said.