Suit: Contractor contribution ban illegal - Albuquerque Journal

Suit: Contractor contribution ban illegal

The city of Albuquerque’s ban on campaign contributions from city contractors and business entities now faces a court challenge alleging the rule violates the First Amendment.

Four New Mexicans filed a civil-rights lawsuit in federal court this week, arguing that the ban abridges their right to freedom of speech in political campaigns.

They called the city’s prohibition on certain campaign donations “one of the harshest contribution restrictions still standing after the Supreme Court’s decision in Citizens United,” a case involving government restrictions on political spending.

The city administration said it hadn’t seen the lawsuit and couldn’t immediately comment.

The case comes as Mayor Richard Berry and one of his challengers, Pete Dinelli, face ethics complaints alleging they violated the ban.

The Journal reported last month that Berry’s re-election campaign had accepted about $17,000 in donations from people who own or work as executives for companies that have city contracts.

Dinelli, meanwhile, accepted about $200 in such contributions – from two partners in the Modrall Sperling law firm, which has a city contract. Dinelli has since donated the money to charity, though he doesn’t believe the contributions were improper.

Berry’s campaign has contended he didn’t violate the ban either.

Voters approved the contractor and business-entity prohibition in 2007, but this is the first year it’s come into play for a mayoral election. In 2009, all three candidates participated in public campaign financing.

The aim of the restriction was to limit corporate influence on city elections. Then-Councilor Michael Cadigan sponsored the measure.

This week’s lawsuit was filed on behalf of Neal Greenbaum, Victor Jury, Dale Armstrong and Gail Armstrong – all of whom either have made or want to make contributions to candidates this year, even though they have management or ownership interests in local businesses with city contracts.

Their attorneys are Colin Hunter of the Barnett Law Firm and Al Park.

Their suit noted that the city bans contributions from contractors but not other groups, such as city employees, unions, union officials, nonprofit groups and lobbyists.

“By creating distinctions among speakers – particularly distinctions that do not advance any meaningful purpose – the authors of the legislation set it up to fail,” the suit says. “The First Amendment does not allow the government to pick and choose speakers.”

Home » News » Albuquerque News » Suit: Contractor contribution ban illegal


Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email yourstory@abqjournal.com

taboola desktop

1
WNBA star Griner freed in swap for Russian arms ...
ABQnews Seeker
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Russia freed WNBA ... WASHINGTON (AP) -- Russia freed WNBA star Brittney Grine r on Thursday in a high-profile prisoner exchange, as the U.S. released notorious Russian arms ...
2
Micah Thunder uses his upbringing, personal experiences to craft ...
ABQnews Seeker
Musician is opening for True Story ... Musician is opening for True Story House at Echoes Brewery on Dec. 9
3
Why concerns were sparked over Public Regulation Commission candidates
ABQnews Seeker
Critics say panel lacks representation from ... Critics say panel lacks representation from northwest region of the state
4
Students rally to provide holiday cheer for homeless youth
ABQnews Seeker
Toy drive was largely pulled together ... Toy drive was largely pulled together by the La Cueva High School dance team
5
Las Vegas woman sought in fatal crash investigation
ABQnews Seeker
Driver and two passengers left the ... Driver and two passengers left the scene on foot after the crash, according to the complaint
6
NM, Mexico sign pact on care for Mexican children
ABQnews Seeker
Updated MOU signed by CYFD, Consulate ... Updated MOU signed by CYFD, Consulate of Mexico
7
The state Public Education Department revealed a $4.3 billion ...
ABQnews Seeker
PED's proposed budget is a 9% ... PED's proposed budget is a 9% increase for next year
8
NMSU benches 3 basketball players involved in aftermath of ...
ABQnews Seeker
The three were seen in video ... The three were seen in video footage moments after the fatal shooting
9
Indian Pueblo Cultural Center plans early childhood development facility
ABQnews Seeker
Indigenous cultural education will be part ... Indigenous cultural education will be part of program at the new center