Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

CCSD, Navajo Nation applaud distribution change to Impact Aid

GALLUP – Central Consolidated School District and Navajo Nation leaders are commending New Mexico lawmakers for approving a bill to redirect federal Impact Aid money received by the state.

House Bill 6 would change the distribution method for Impact Aid from a system where funding is pooled, then distributed to all public schools to one where funding is sent only to underserved schools, including those that serve primarily Native American students.

Impact Aid is a federal program designed to assist school districts that have lost property tax revenue because of federal tax-exempt property, such as reservation land or military bases.

CCSD receives Impact Aid because it comprises 98% of land that is on the Navajo Nation, leaving it with about 2% of taxable property, according to the district.

The bill passed both the House and the Senate before the legislative session ended on March 20. It is awaiting Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s signature.

CCSD called the approval by state lawmakers a “game changer” because it could potentially restore approximately $15 million to the district, which would benefit students, and provide for facility and infrastructure improvements.

“We applaud these champions of our children for helping us right this historic wrong and urge the governor to sign HB 6,” Superintendent Daniel Benavidez said in a news release.

Benavidez thanked state representatives and senators for backing the measure, as well as officials from school districts in Gallup and Zuni,and leaders from the Navajo Nation and pueblo governments.

Benavidez mentioned that inadequate state funding for schools serving Native American students was determined in the Yazzie Martinez education lawsuit and House Bill 6 “rights a wrong” in the way CCSD has been funded.

Gary Montoya, president of the district’s Board of Education, said that the coronavirus pandemic added to the cause by exposing “woeful inadequacies” in technology and internet access for students learning remotely.

“HB 6 will go a long way in helping the district transform the challenges that CCSD students face into opportunities for expanded learning and a foundation for success, both as students and throughout their adult lives,” Montoya said.

Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez and Vice President Myron Lizer also commended the passage.

“The Navajo Nation, along with other tribes in New Mexico, have been advocating for this change for years to allow school districts with high Native American student populations to receive the full benefit of federal Impact Aid. We are optimistic that Gov. Lujan Grisham will sign the measure into law,” Nez said in a statement.

Subscribe now! Albuquerque Journal limited-time offer

Albuquerque Journal seeks stories of our community's pandemic loss

If you’ve lost a loved one to COVID-19 and would like for the person to be included in an online memorial the Journal plans to publish, please email a high-resolution photo and a sentence about the person to Please email yourstory@abqjournal.com
Please include your contact information so we can verify, and your loved one’s name, age, community where they lived and something you want our readers to know about them.

TOP |