Recover password

Jags Defeat Ravens In Penalty-Filled Game

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Atrisco Heritage Academy got off to a blazing start and pounded Rio Grande 44-0 in a game marred by penalties Friday night at Milne Stadium.

The Jaguars raced to a 30-0 lead less than 2 minutes into the second quarter before the contest became painfully sloppy with flags dominating the evening. There were no penalties in the first quarter, but a combined 29 — 19 by AHA — during the last three quarters. And that despite the 35-point running clock, which didn’t really run all that much because of all the stoppages for flags.

“I think the first quarter, and most of the second quarter we were pretty focused,” said Atrisco coach Patrick Johnson. “The third quarter we came out and scored that first touchdown, but then we did get a little unfocused. But we did score two touchdowns that we got called back … and had those not been called back, the game would have flowed.”

Those two touchdowns, ironically, were by the same player — junior Zeke Kate Katesigwa — in a three-play span. One was on a 30-yard pass, the other on a 23-yard interception return.

The Jaguars (5-2, 2-0 in 5-5A) already had plenty of scores that did count. Ricci Alvidrez had three of those, one on a 65-yard punt return just 1:42 into the game. He then added TD runs of 43 and 2 yards in the first half.


Continue reading

Alvidrez, a sophomore, finished with 89 yards on 10 carries.

Senior quarterback Nate Goode, who had 74 yards rushing and 83 passing, scored on a 14-yard run in the first quarter and senior running back Jeremy Sanchez added had a 6-yard touchdown run on the Jags’ second possession of the third quarter. After that, AHA never had another first down.

Rio Grande, meanwhile, had just one first down the entire second half and four on the night.

Jordan Vigil capped the scoring on a 77-yard TD on an interception return with 16.6 seconds left after Rio Grande (1-6, 0-2) called a timeout in hopes of getting on the board.