1. Rio Rancho at Las Cruces, 7 p.m. Friday: A possible state championship game preview at the Field of Dreams. The 3-0 Rams are coming off an impressive come-from-behind road win at Goddard; Rio Rancho trailed 21-7 before winning 28-21. The 3-0 Bulldawgs have been 5A’s most impressive team so far. Last year, the Rams beat Las Cruces in Rio Rancho, which, ironically enough, was the turning point in the Bulldawgs’ state championship season.
2. Los Lunas at Sandia, 7 p.m. Friday, Wilson Stadium: Any other week, this would be the no-brainer choice for Game of the Week. Just not this week. Still, this is a mega-matchup between last season’s state runners-up in 5A and 4A. The 3-0 Tigers’ defense dominated last year in a 20-7 win. “We’re very excited about that game,” coach Kevin Barker said of 2-1 Sandia. “It’s been circled on our schedule since we got it.”
3. Eldorado at Valley, 7 p.m. Thursday, Community Stadium: Two top-notch gunslingers, the 2-1 Eagles’ Zach Gentry and the 3-0 Vikings’ Bo Coleman, square off in what should be a super entertaining matchup.
4. Mayfield at Manzano, 1 p.m. Saturday, Wilson Stadium: The Trojans and Monarchs are both flying way under the radar so far this year, but they’re both 3-0.
5. Cleveland at Clovis, 7 p.m. Friday: The Storm is another of those 3-0 squads we haven’t talked about much. The Wildcats (1-2) are probably the best team Cleveland has faced yet, and Clovis is still hurting from that 14-13 loss to Manzano on Friday.