Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Valencia Co. grand jury charges teen in double homicide

LOS LUNAS —  A Valencia County grand jury has indicted an 18-year-old man for shooting and killing a father and daughter last month in Jarales.

Jordan Hurd, 18, has been indicted on two counts of first-degree murder for the deaths of Wesley Hobbs and his daughter, Amanda Hobbs. Hurd is also charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, a third-degree felony, for shooting and injuring wife and mother Patricia Hobbs.

The grand jury also indicted Hurd with one count of armed robbery, a second-degree felony; and conspiracy to commit armed robbery, a third-degree felony.

Hobbs was arrested a few days after Patricia Hobbs called police, telling them she was shot, along with her 54-year-old husband and 24-year-old daughter in their Jarales home on Sept. 7.

Wesley Hobbs was pronounced dead before he could be transported to the hospital, and Amanda Hobbs died the next day in an Albuquerque hospital. Patricia Hobbs was treated and released the day of the shooting.

According to the criminal complaint, when deputies arrived at the Hobbs’ home, they first met with Patricia Hobbs, who had her hands on the left side of her face, shouting she had been shot. The deputies discovered Amanda Hobbs in the living room, unconscious, but breathing with a large amount of blood around her head.

Wesley Hobbs was found in his bedroom, sitting upright with a single gunshot to the head.

Patricia Hobbs told detectives a man, with red hair, and another individual went to the house to drop off a radiator for her husband. She also told detectives she was in the kitchen when she saw three men enter the bedroom, and after a few minutes, she heard her husband say, “what,” and then heard two gun shots, according to the complaint.

Patricia Hobbs also told deputies her daughter was shot as she walked out of her bedroom.

“Mrs. Hobbs said she dropped down on the floor to her hands and knees to cover herself,” the complaint said. “Mrs. Hobbs heard a male say ‘there is still one alive,’ at which time she felt a burning sensation on the back of her neck.

“Mrs. Hobbs said Mr. Hobbs did traffic illegal narcotics and was probably going to sell the two unknown males methamphetamine.”

Hurd was arrested a few days later after Valencia County sheriff’s detectives found him at 5:30 a.m. at McDonald’s in Los Lunas.

Valencia County Sheriff Louis Burkhard said there wasn’t a direct connection between Hurd and the Hobbs family, but it appears the teenager went to the house to obtain meth.

Two days after the shooting and a day before his arrest, Hurd was in district court on an unrelated charge of breaking and entering. According to court documents, Hurd pleaded no contest to the fourth-degree felony on Monday in front of District Court Judge Violet Otero. She sentenced him to 18 months of supervised probation.

While being escorted by sheriff’s deputies to the Valencia County Detention Center on the day of his arrest, Hurd told reporters that he didn’t know the family and wasn’t in the victim’s home that morning.