ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Former ABC journalist Sam Donaldson, who currently lives in Albuquerque, had his DUI case in Delaware dismissed last Friday, closing a yearlong legal battle, The Washington Post reported in its blog The Reliable Source.
Donaldson was arrested last December and charged with drunken driving, but a Sussex County judge dismissed the charge on Friday saying police did not have probable cause, the blog reported.
The judge said the arresting officer had sufficient reason to stop Donaldson’s car, but the incident report was missing information and included a field sobriety test, which is not supposed to be administered to anyone 65 or over because seniors may have difficulty with one-leg stands and other tasks, even when sober, according to The Post.
“The officer said I didn’t look over 65,” the 79-year-old Donaldson told The Post on Monday. “My goodness, I almost jumped up and waved the flag.”
Donaldson collected his last paycheck from ABC News last month and is now busy with freelance projects, but tells The Post he’s not retired.
“You retire, in the full sense of the word, when you die,” the newsman said. “I’m not ready yet.”